new imac bezel coming out soon

Discussion in 'iMac' started by New2imac01, Jul 18, 2019.

1. New2imac01 macrumors newbie

Is there a new imac bezel coming out for ethier the 21.5 or 27 inch ?? I have been holding out for a while to buy a new imac and don't know what to do.

2. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

If you need it, you should probably buy it now.

There are no definite rumors at this point, but it's strongly suspected that there is a redesign coming. The current iMac design is already a few years old, and Apple just recently announced production of a new professional-grade display in the Pro Display XDR (with true professional pricing - $5,000 to $6,000, depending on which glass type you choose). The new display, which is unlikely to be used on standard iMacs, looks to have thinner bezels. It's easy to imagine that the next refresh might feature redesigned iMacs... or the refresh after that.

However, the iMac lineup was just updated in March 2019. Looking at the Macrumors Buyer's Guide, the update schedule for iMacs is a bit sporadic but on average occurs a little less frequently than once per year. So if you can stand to wait another 1-2 years, then keep on waiting, knowing that the next iMac is either going to feature a redesign or will likely be the last one to have the current appearance. If you can't wait, then buy knowing that you're either buying the last or second-to-last iMac with the current design.

3. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

If you need an iMac, I would get the 2019.

The redesign is way overdue. I suspect that much of the iMac Pro internal design was originally going to be the new iMac design, but Apple decided to retool it for the Pro market after the Pro-backlash to hold some over until the new Mac Pro was ready.

All that being said, no one knows when or even if there will be a redesign iMac. It could be tomorrow which is unlikely, it could be this fall or next spring, or maybe never.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I don't expect any iMac redesign soon -- probably not until next year.
    And one thing I DEFINITELY don't expect to see is a "re-design" of the traditional "bezel".
    It's the size and shape it is for a reason -- engineering to get the components inside.

5. ondert macrumors 6502

ondert

Tim Cook simply doesn’t want to spend money on design so Jony Ive has gone.

6. fokmik macrumors 68040

I always open imacs , 2013-2016 models...and the bezels has no component inside...jesus...only the chin has the speakers and air flow etc...top bezel has the some internals components but it takes around 3-4 mm max...so..
    Is just lazy thing. Only by removing hdd and going all ssd...making big space for better cooling etc

7. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

If they redesign the iMac with the same lattice design as the Mac pro, I will find it hard not to buy one despite not having any need for it. That would be stunning.

8. i'm the mac daddy macrumors newbie

i'm the mac daddy

I cannot wait for a redesigned iMac. I honestly thought we had one coming in 2015, then 2016, then for real in 2017, then maybe 2018, and for certain in 2019. I get the education market probably wants low cost which means spinning disks. But seriously this is getting out of hand.

9. Chung123 macrumors regular

Chung123

Looking at the Pro Display XDR on the Apple site and imagining an iMac..... That does make sense!

10. whosthis macrumors member

But then, giving the next generation which is used to ultra fast mobile devices the feel of sluggishness on an iMac would be rather foolish.

11. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

If the Pro Display XDR is any indicator, trimmed bezels might be something we should expect someday

As for when it happens... who knows

12. alisalem macrumors member

Bezels on the current iMac is one thing you hardly notice when you're actually using the iMac (at least on the 27"). I debated so long whether to wait or buy now and ended up getting one anyway. Looking at photos of a product is one thing and using it is another.