New iMac Black screen of death

Discussion in 'iMac' started by linguoISdead, Oct 29, 2015.

1. linguoISdead macrumors newbie

linguoISdead

Totally crashing/restarting randomly. 2 times in the first 2 hours I've had it.

2. G.McGilli macrumors regular

I guess the obvious question is - have you installed any software at all on it since you got it?

3. Aspekt macrumors member

maybe its updating? I mean these things do happen.

4. linguoISdead thread starter macrumors newbie

linguoISdead

It gives me the 'critical error happened. wait a sec and press a button' message. I've been TRYING to install software but mostly it's getting interrupted :) I do have Slack

5. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Sorry to hear that... :(

My new 5k also had a black screen, but mine still had a curser. Command-R boot, followed by running diskutil via command line fixed my issues. Apparently, it was an El-Cap disk util GUI problem.

Anyhow, hope you're up and running soon?

6. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

If it's not updating and it's still a problem I would try re-installing OS X before I called Apple. If it still does it afterwards it's a hardware problem.

7. DoggieStu macrumors newbie

I had 3 kernel panics today when doing migration assistant with thunderbolt cable. It might be my cable is acting strange lately though; otherwise, I am not aware of anything yet.

8. Username Here macrumors member

You can return your brand new one for a refurbished..(Hmm I wonder if there is any yet..??)

9. burne macrumors 6502

burne

One can return a brand new defective iMac and get another brand new one, period.

No need for you to spread lies.

10. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Nah, that's where mine went wrong as well. El-Crap and Time Machine don't get along yet. My restore was horrible with the system barely working and having lots of weird GPU artifacts. I then erased the drive, per Apple's orders, and then my volume didn't show up on Diskutil. I had to go to the command line to find and fix it. I think these are El-Crap issues, not the 5K iMac's fault.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try booting while holding the shift key to start in safe mode. That will stop and launch items or startup items (like Slack) from running. If it works fine in safe mode, that tells you it is something you have installed on your system that is causing this conflict.

If safe mode fixes it, come back here and let us know and we can help you troubleshoot further.

12. Username Here macrumors member

Perhaps you should actually read the warranty....before spreading DIS-information....

WARRANTY COVERAGE

Apple's warranty obligations are limited to the terms set forth below: Apple Computer, Inc. ("Apple") warrants this hardware product against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase. If a defect exists, at its option Apple will (1) repair the product at no charge, using new or refurbished replacement parts, (2) exchange the product with a product that is new or which has been manufactured from new or serviceable used parts and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product, or (3) refund the purchase price of the product. A replacement product/part assumes the remaining warranty of the original product or ninety (90) days from the date of replacement or repair, whichever provides longer coverage for you. When a product or part is exchanged, any replacement item becomes your property and the replaced item becomes Apple's property. When a refund is given, your product becomes Apple's property.