Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt1219

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I tried to install Windows XP on my new iMac, and it formatted my hard drive to a Windows Read Only. I cannot erase the drive and unmounting didn't work. I'm going to the Apple Store right now to try to get a vacancy before Friday, anything I can do before I go?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm assuming you tried to use Boot Camp to install XP... did you print and read the setup guide carefully? Sounds like you formatted the wrong partition while in Windows.

The fix for this is relatively simple, assuming you didn't have anything important on that iMac. All you need to do is start up the iMac from the DVD that came with it, but before installing Mac OS X open Disk Utility and reformat the drive to a single GUID partition, so Mac OS X can use it. Install Mac OS X as normal, install any updates that are available, then set up Boot Camp.

matt1219

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I'm assuming you tried to use Boot Camp to install XP... did you print and read the setup guide carefully? Sounds like you formatted the wrong partition while in Windows.

The fix for this is relatively simple, assuming you didn't have anything important on that iMac. All you need to do is start up the iMac from the DVD that came with it, but before installing Mac OS X open Disk Utility and reformat the drive to a single GUID partition, so Mac OS X can use it. Install Mac OS X as normal, install any updates that are available, then set up Boot Camp.

First of all, too late, Apple tried to fix it, they couldn't, and need to replace the drive which will take a whopping 3 days! I don't get why it would take that long.

Second, I can't even do that. I can't erase, can't do anything. All grayed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.