New iMAC Build Issue?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jasphair, Aug 12, 2013.

1. jasphair macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I just received my new 27" iMac last week, and though I'm in love with the machine, I've noticed the aluminum area to the right of the Apple logo appears to not be put together with the glass all the way.

[​IMG]

It may be hard to see, but there appears to be an overlap or underlap between the aluminium and the glass, and this extends for several inches on the one side.

Is this a build issue, and something I should take up with my Apple reseller and or Apple themselves?

Cheers!

2. WilliamG, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

WilliamG macrumors 604

I can't say for sure that all iMacs are like that, but my 2012 is similar. Right in the center, above the Apple logo and to the left and right a few inches, my display sticks out just a little - maybe a mm. It's really unnoticeable unless you run, say, the edge of a business/credit card up the aluminum above the logo, and then the card catches on the edge of the glass just a hair. It's not an issue, but I did notice it. I'm guessing the screen was just not pushed quite hard enough down on the tape used to seat the screen into the aluminum frame of the iMac.

I assume yours is like that, or is it the other way around, where the glass is actually pushed IN?

3. jasphair thread starter macrumors member

Yes, the glass is pushed in, or aluminium may be slightly pushed out. If I use a card anywhere else it goes from aluminium to glass without catching, but on the right side of the iMac there's a noticeable dip when you go from aluminium to glass, and going the opposite direction causes it to get caught on the aluminium bezel.

It's a bit annoying, although not nearly as annoying as having to exchange and wait for another BTO and then setting everything up again.

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

Hm, that's a bit odd. Well, I'd say if it's really noticeable, it's obviously up to you whether you want to do anything about it. If everything else about your system is perfect, I'd say don't mess with what works..

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I don't have any kind of overlap, and since it's a new machine, I'd take it in...Apple will swap it out for you..if there is a gap where more dust could get in then it'd be best to let them at least look at it...Won't cost you a dime to find out.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

Dust can't get into the display, since it's sealed to the glass. It sounds just cosmetic, but I agree if it's a new system and it bothers you - get it exchanged.

7. Serban Suspended

i have a question for you:
    your iMac is BTO ?

8. jasphair thread starter macrumors member

Yes, built to order. I had to wait two weeks for a custom 27" with 2GB 680MX and 256GB SSD.