New iMac can't restore from ssd

Discussion in 'macOS' started by al404, Jul 2, 2017.

1. al404 macrumors 6502

al404

Hi,

Just got a new iMac and I was setting everything up
    I usually connect put a clone, done with CCC, of my old system in a USB enclosure, boot from there and restore with CCC to internal drive

This time if I press ALT on boot I see my external enclosure but after choosing it I see a No Access sign

I also see the same sign if I try to boot to recovery with cmd + R

It is a new 27 iMac 2017

Now I booted in macOS and found the 10.12.5 update, hope it will fix but not really sure it will

If I connect the same SSD to my MacBook Pro 13 I can boot without issue

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

The old computer that you cloned does not have the correct drivers for the 2017 iMac. So booting from the clone is why the computer won't boot correctly. You will need to migrate your data to the new computer.

3. chscag macrumors 68000

You can not boot your new iMac with a CCC clone that you made from your MacBook Pro. The hardware is different. You can however make a full Time Machine backup of your MBP and use that to migrate data and apps to your new iMac.

4. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

I did it several times from Mac mini to MacBook, etc
    I can't understand why is not booting to recovery with cmd + r
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2017 ---
    SOLVED

I guess it did not boot into recovery because macOS found an other recovery on SSD

- disconnected SSD
    - boot into recovery
    - connect SSD
    - restore macOS on external drive

After thet macOS booted into SSD system
    Started CCC and now I'm restoring

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

As mentioned, even if you somehow succeed in simply copying a MacOS clone of an older system onto a new iMac, I would recommend against it because the hardware is different.

Best options are to either use Migration Assistant from the old SSD or to clean install although you'd need a USB-C adapter if it is a USB external drive you're using.

It sounds to me like you used Time Machine to restore MacOS onto the external but if you just clone your old system onto the Mac it is going to fail to boot just like before.

6. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

I did this process several time with Carbon Copy Cloner since 15 or more years, I bought my first mac when apple switched to intel and added bootcamp

about 3 years ago i decide to take a day to make clean install since i was moving around my boot disk since a long time and the end result wasn't much different from what i had before the clean install

macOs may keep some older driver and wast a little space

when i buy a new mac i clone my disk to an external disk, then boot from there and use CCC to restore to the new machine

I'm up and running in about a couple of hours, with migration or TM restore it take for ever and it doesn't restore some script that backup database or other little things

at least this is my experience over past few years

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

What machine was the clone of and what machine did you clone it TO?

I was booting my previous machine, a Late 2013 27-inch iMac from an SSD in a Thunderbolt enclosure. I attempted to just boot to that install by attaching it to my new 2017 iMac and it did not work (got the white circle with a line through it) so instead I used Migration Assistant which was quite snappy over Thunderbolt. It took about 20 minutes total and I don't seem to be missing anything.

Anyway, good to hear that everything is working for you. :)

8. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

it was a mac mini 2012 to a iMac 2017, i also got the white circle with a line through it
    to fix that you need to boot into recovery, connect the external drive and restore macOS over the external drive

that probably fix the missing drivers that doesn't allow the boot
    after that it is possible to boot from the external drive

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I understand now and it is a perfect solution! Of course, just do a recovery install of the old OS from the new machine and it will update the drivers. I wish i had thought of it and will definitely file it for next time.

10. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

In most cases you can but the OS needs to be updated to include those latest drivers which might not be generally available until 10.12.6. So update CCC copy to 10.12.6 when it’s finally released and the iMac should boot fine from usb drive.