New iMac coming Fri 11/22, need advice?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BlockEight88, Nov 19, 2013.

1. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

I am sure that my new Haswell iMac will come with Mountain Lion pre-installed. I'd like to get Mavericks but do a clean install. I am familar with how to download Mavericks from the App store and then make a bootable USB flash drive. My question is: would it hurt the fushion drive if I completely format first? I don't recall there being an option to install the operating system on the SSD portion.

Basically, I am worried that when I do a clean install of Mavericks that it won't install on the SSD portion. Or does it just know where to install the OS and apps automatically?

Thanks

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I would do a simple update since your Mountain Lion installation is already "clean".

But, yes, you can format and install from scratch if you desire. With a Fusion drive, you no longer think in terms of the "SSD" and "HD" ... you simply have a single Fusion drive, the operating system will take care of the rest for you.

-howard

3. Carlos840 macrumors member

When i received my new iMac (2013 27") it had issues and i was told by the applecare dudes to do a clean instal.

All it took was to reboot holding command+R this should open the Internet recovery window.
    From there you can acces disk utilities and format, then do a clean instal after downloading the OS online.

Since the Fusion drive is recognised as a single drive it will not hurt anything and will instal the OS on the SSD

For some reason the apple support says it should install the original OS that cam on you system, but when i did it on mine it did a clean install of 10.9 even though my iMac cam with 10.8.4

https://www.apple.com/uk/osx/recovery/

4. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular