Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EightmanVT

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
so i wait for a iMac clone from china , they already cloned the MacBookPro ok only a atom 510 but nvidia ion gpu so even HD is no problem at all and snow leopard runs on it like on a Mac and with recent problem infested 27" iMac i doubt a clone could be worse
http://liliputing.com/2010/03/macbook-pro-clone-with-nvidia-ion-graphics-dual-core-atom-chip.html
so i wait for that one here but with the internals of the MacBookPro clone above
http://www.gizchina.com/2010/10/12/1600-yuan-imac-clone-tempting/, and yes the back does not look that nice , but i seen uglier designs of backs of all in one computers , and i never see the back anyway unless i plug in something in a usb port, and all the chinese Mac clones can run snow leopard , just have a affordable price tag

The Chinese people thank you for supporting their proven business model of ripping off American companies.

Last edited:

stonegammage

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2010
iMac rules

iMac is the absolute super computer. They typically update it a little bit yearly from what I've seen, but nothing too major. Hey, my iMac is a 2008 20" I believe. And let me tell you....it's going to keep cranking and it's not going to stop. I love it! It's my frigging home away from home!

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Hey MacHamster68, so you would suggest just buying an iMac now or wait? Im in the market for my first iMac and will go for the $1999 27" with the i7 upgrade. But the graphicscard isn't up to pair imo, so im holding a bit off atm.

What's your need for iMac? If you need it now to do some project or jobs, you better don't wait and pull the trigger now. This way, your iMac can still gain profit for an upgrade, or just simply earn you money

If OTOH, you don't have particular reason to use iMac now, or if you just want to toying around with your first iMac, nothing too important .. then just wait, why being rushed. You won't be sorry for waiting a lil bit

I'm waiting next iMac for doing jobs and editing, but not too rushed either. So i'll use my iMac for making money (and some fun of course)

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
The Chinese people thank you for supporting their proven business model of ripping off American companies.

i dont think it has something to do with ripping of american companies or apple for that matter , these netbook based clones may look close to the real thing , but are in no way a competition for a real Mac in terms of performance , but they offer enough performance to do basic tasks like watching videos ,some office and such things , and it was apples choice to go intel , so its apples fault to make it easy to look for a alternative to run OSX on
and the chinese only copy the design and make it affordable , you always have to remember i live int the UK which belongs to europe and we pay nearly %30 more then you guys in the USA for the same Mac's , so if i would live in the USA i possibly would have never thought about a hackintosh in my wildest dreams .. as i would be happy to pay just £746 for the basic iMac as thats how much it cost if you live in the USA instead of the £1020 in UK, but even the price would not really matter that much , its apple does offer more then i need really in terms of screen size and performance , like is said a white iMac again 17 inch screen max 18.5" and one which scores around 2000 geekbench points would be more then enough for my needs and i place a order immediately, as i own quiet a few Mac's so i am used to "multi tasking ", which means i dont have the need for ONE powerful computer
but i would need a iMac for my second home in germany for basic computing needs ..just dont like laptops and a new iMac would be nice , shame apple does not offer what i need or want, sure apple offers more , but i dont need more , i need less

Last edited:

meb91

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
The iMac has always been updated at least once within each calendar year, and sometimes two updates have fallen in the same calendar year. I don't get why some people say "no one knows" when someone asks when the next update is coming. It's pretty easy to figure out, especially with the Buyer's Guide. The iMac will be updated no later than June, and I'd bet money on that, as it's always updated every 7 to 11 months. We're already past the 7 month mark.

Last edited:

vanchan

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2006
Agree with the majority of posters that there will be an iMac refresh (minor update, as opposed to a complete overhaul) before June 2011.

My best bet is that we will see (assuming the 'standard' 21.5" model):
- Sandy Bridge processor upgrade
- Upgrade in hard disk space, probably at least 750GB.
- No SSD drive standard (price tag too high), but available as upgrade on all models.
- RAM will probably stay at 4GB, hard to see this jump to 8GB but Apple may surprise
- Upgrade in video card, especially since OSX Lion may need this.
- HD iSight camera
- Thunderbolt port
- (Option to) Replace Magic Mouse by Magic Trackpad

Lastly, due to rising aluminum prices, I think the iMac's stand will be replaced by a Magic Hoovering Device. the 2011 iMac will actually float above your desktop, thus freeing up valuable desk space and minimizing clutter.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
i dont think it has something to do with ripping of american companies or apple for that matter , these netbook based clones may look close to the real thing , but are in no way a competition for a real Mac in terms of performance , but they offer enough performance to do basic tasks like watching videos ,some office and such things , and it was apples choice to go intel , so its apples fault to make it easy to look for a alternative to run OSX on
and the chinese only copy the design and make it affordable , you always have to remember i live int the UK which belongs to europe and we pay nearly %30 more then you guys in the USA for the same Mac's , so if i would live in the USA i possibly would have never thought about a hackintosh in my wildest dreams .. as i would be happy to pay just £746 for the basic iMac as thats how much it cost if you live in the USA instead of the £1020 in UK, but even the price would not really matter that much , its apple does offer more then i need really in terms of screen size and performance , like is said a white iMac again 17 inch screen max 18.5" and one which scores around 2000 geekbench points would be more then enough for my needs and i place a order immediately, as i own quiet a few Mac's so i am used to "multi tasking ", which means i dont have the need for ONE powerful computer
but i would need a iMac for my second home in germany for basic computing needs ..just dont like laptops and a new iMac would be nice , shame apple does not offer what i need or want, sure apple offers more , but i dont need more , i need less

you do know that the USA prices are without what we call VAT, so add the local sales tax to that £746 price and the import duty apple have to pay to the UK government thats passed on to the consumer and your pretty much back up to the £1000 mark after sales tax/shipping and import duty.

Dont blame apple, blame a corrupt government thats had its own way since the middle ages and has never really changed.

Crbeveri

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
hold out or pull trigger.

Hey everyone,

So the over all thoughts are that yes there will be an update to the iMac as there has been every year for quite some time. My question is that I do a lot of photo and web editing on my 13" MacBook Pro (2008) and have finally reached the limits of it's abilities. I have already upgraded the ram and hard drive as much as I can.

The new iMac that people are talking about coming out with Lion... I personally don't care for touch screen capabilities and like Snow Leopard as is. Right now the MacBook is doing okay but I defiantly need a larger quicker system. I am considering the 27" iMac with the i7 chip, will upgrade ram myself as it's way cheaper, and a 256GB SSD + 1TB HD drives. I personally don't know the reliability of SSD's as I have not used them so do not see a huge need for the ability to boot from an external. To me booting for an external seems like it would be slower but i could be totally wrong and just not understand the new technology.

Ultimate question is, do I stick it out with my little 13" pro until an updated iMac comes out or would the 27" with the i7 chip and (self installed 12-16GB ram) last me a good while. I run at a given time, Photoshop CS4, Bridge CS4, Flash CS4, and Dreamweaver CS4 at one time.

Thanks for the help and thoughts, sorry for the long winded post.

Chris5488

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
YES you should wait untill the new iMac comes out!
It is expected end April (4-6 weeks) as can be read on the frontpage.

Just one more month waiting...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.