New iMac compatible with SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by telepati, May 19, 2009.

1. telepati macrumors regular

telepati

Hi I want change my new iMac Serial-ATA HD with SSD. is this possible?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I can't see why not. Here is one from Crucial. Only thing is that iMacs uses 3.5" HDs and SSDs are 2.5" but I don't see that as a problem

People correct me if I'm wrong.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, as long as you get one in the correct size (3.5" form factor) with a SATA interface.

4. mstam macrumors member

Get yourself an OCZ Vertex and Icy Dock 2.5-3.5" converter.

5. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

It will work fine, but installing it will void your warranty.

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

@300D. I don't think it voids it. Apple has always had an Open-Up policy. They wont repair it and will probably want to put an Apple HD in if it needs repair. All you have to do is switch in the original one if it needs service.

7. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

News flash: no they haven't.

8. tropic10 macrumors member

That's news to me. I thought that Apple designated certain components as user serviceable.

9. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

In the iMac, that would only be the RAM. Thats why there is an external door to access it.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

News flash: You're both wrong to some extent.

MB Air: You open you're f'ed (if they can tell)
    MB Unibodies: Some "geniuses" will say that only the hdd is listed as a user-upgradable feature, however, we know the memory is also user upgradable. Depending upon which douche I mean genius you speak to, they'll give you one of the two stories (I've had this happen to me).

Desktops: Most of them are user upgradable (open up policy) exists for memory and HDDs. Nothing more really afaik. I think this excludes the iMac, though I've yet to see someone's warranty voided as a result of a replaced HDD. (then again I never paid attention either)

Mini: As I understand you're not supposed to open that either. I think.

SSD in an iMac, that should be fine and not void your warranty, but as someone else said, you probably want to put your old drive back in should you ever encounter an issue. Maybe it's not because it's not Apple's drive but more so that they will blame the SSD for every issue you present them with. Such is life when I put Crucial Ram in my MP, they said the fans were running 24/7 due to faulty ram. They eventually replaced my machine ... it wasn't the ram. ;)

I digress.

I think if it is "sealed" you can't or shouldn't touch it. iMacs, MB Airs, Mac Minis seem to fall into this category.

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

From another thread re: the warranty:

12. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

the minis have to be opened to upgrade the ram. Apples position on the mini is something like "you can open it without voiding the warranty, but it will be void if you break something in the process of opening it."