New iMac conversion help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jaly2k, Jan 30, 2013.

1. jaly2k macrumors newbie

I have a new 21 inch iMac (1TB HD, 16GB Ram and Fusion Drive running Lion) that will be delivered any day now. I am upgrading from a 2006 160 GB, 2GB Ram mac mini ruunning Snow Leopard. I have two external drives one for time machine backups and the other holds my iPhoto and iTunes libraries because they became too large for the mini hard drive (about 600GB total). I know that when the iMac comes I can just restore from the latest time machine back-up and copy the iTunes and iPhoto files from the external drive to the new iMac 1TB hard drive. I have some concerns about the structure of my iTunes and iPhoto Libraries due to previous loss of data and rebuilding them. Is there a way to simply import the data i.e. individual photos and song/album files to ensure a clean well configured new iMac or should I not be concerned about this. Thanks.

2. kflanary macrumors newbie

Here's what I always do and I've done it a number of times. For iPhoto just copy the iPhoto library file from where ever it is stored and replace the iPhoto library file on the new computer. When you open iPhoto all your stuff is there and intact with all the faces and all that stuff carried over. If you are nervous you can just rename the new library file to backup or something and then once you see it works you can delete it. One caveot is that I am running the same version of OSX on both machines and the same version of iPhoto.

As for iTunes I just copy the whole folder and replace the whole folder on the new machine as well. Again though I am running the same version of of OSX and iTunes. And mine is not stored on an external drive. So that may be an issue because your library files (for playlists, etc) are referencing an external drive.

I'm comfortable on the iPhoto for recommending the above but not sure on the iTunes.

3. indiegurl3 macrumors newbie

hi there I'm fairly new to owning this exact iMac and I really need help I know it's a small problem although I can't help myself. well I unplugged my computer and turned it back on, the track pad appeared on the screen with low battery but I tried to log into my desktop. the keypad was not entering the key I pushed in. so I replaced the batteries and turned it on but it still does not work properly...

4. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

If you can use a different mouse or keyboard, you should try that to maybe re-pair the bluetooth handshake of the wireless keyboard and mouse. And also possibly start a new thread either here or on Apple's community pages.