New iMac - couple of questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Glassed Silver, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Glassed Silver macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

Heya guys,

so I'll get myself the iMac 27" @3.4GHz i7 2GB VRAM, stock RAM (will upgrade to 16GB myself), but I still got some questions:

a) My Apple licensed dealer told me there are no SSD kits for iMacs (2011 mid) atm. Is that true? He said usually it takes some time till they get released and I think also due to the new thermal sensor system this might be double true?

b) I will use Time Machine to port over my system from my current iMac (2006 late C2D 2.16GHz, 2.5GB RAM, x1600 128MB VRAM) to my new one.
    Of cause my system has some junk (drag and drop uninstalls instead of App Zapper and Co.) and whatnot... How do I clean old junk from my setup I don't need anymore.
    I'm specifically talking about already uninstalled applications, that I still have left overs from. And I'd like to go another route than manually by hand... ;D

Thanks so far.

Glassed Silver:mac

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unfortunately, if you want to completely remove all files/folders related to deleted apps, the manual method is the only method that works. In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I don't think there will be any official SSD kits, you pretty much have to kill your warranty to add one.

Also, unless your current Mac is running Lion, Time Machine is a bust, and for what you want, migration assistant sounds like a better idea anyhow. I think you'll just need a firewire or ethernet cable.

4. Glassed Silver thread starter macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

I'll look into that, thanks! :)

Also I'm not soo keen on doing a 100% uninstall...
    a rough job would be fine, too, just preferably not manually :D
    But I will look into it, thank you! :)

Yes it runs Lion.
    And I don't like migration assistants. I prefer bringing over my system 1:1.

Just thought I'd give this OS X setup some freshness back, no problems with it, though. :)

(Apart from the ones that probably occur due to the aging machine :D)

No, I wouldn't, as I would let my Apple licensed dealer do it (note: not an Apple Store, but an authorized distributor, repair store etc...)

All I really need is a kit - or well, they need it.

Aren't the OWC 6G's iMac'11-mid compatible? They look freaking amazing in the charts! :O

Glassed Silver:mac