New iMac crashes with CD run

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dedaelus, Aug 31, 2007.

1. dedaelus macrumors newbie

Let me preface this by saying that I am a switcher -- this is my first Mac, but I am reasonably computer-literate in Windows world. I'm taking my Mac to the geniuses tomorrow for a probable return/replacement but want to see if anyone else has experienced this (yes, I searched).

The problem: my brand new iMac is shutting down when I attempt to install Office '04 from a CD or access a file on a CD.

I received my new 20" iMac yesterday (wireless mouse, the rest is stock) after waiting since last November for the new generation. After turning it on and playing around in Safari, I inserted my just-purchased Microsoft Office 2004 for Macs to install. It appeared to be going fine, but then the computer just shut down -- no freezing, no other indication of a problem. It went through this pattern a few more times, varying the shutdown point from immediately upon the CD loading to during the actual install.

I spoke with Apple Care and the tech took me through a few different exercises, including loading the OS X install disc 1, which also caused the computer to shutdown. The tech believes this is a problem with the superdrive, which sounds logical.

Anyone else experienced this or know of any other likely culprits? I am not looking forward to giving up my Mac after only a day of use, especially since it means driving 2 hours to the nearest Apple store and probably being without a computer for the next week while I wait for a replacement.

2. dedaelus thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind

Not that there were any answers, but I wanted to update this with a resolution. Took my iMac to the genius bar and they could not replicate the problem. After setting up my iMac at home again, I could not get it to turn on when using the same plug on the power strip... once I switched plugs, it worked perfectly. :rolleyes: So, I am chalking the bizarre shutdowns to a faulty outlet.