New iMac crashing during Youtube playback :)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fourtogaraffia, Oct 31, 2013.

1. fourtogaraffia macrumors newbie

So my new iMac which shipped with Mountain Lion a couple of weeks ago locks up during Youtube playback and during playback of any other streaming media including music, streaming online seminars etc.

Upgrading to Mavericks didn't help. Weird as the video or whatever continues playing (without audio) but no keyboard or mouse input at that stage works. Clock still ticks but I can't do anything.

A hard reboot is the only remedy :) I've repaired permissions, checked that I have the latest Adobe flash download, unplugged peripherals etc.

I did upgrade to 32Gb of RAM (from Crucial) when I bought it. Do you think taking that out is the next move or does anyone have any ideas where to go next?

Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB

Thanks in advance for any ideas :)

2. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

3. Bear macrumors G3

I would've run the machine for a few days to a week before modifying memory. It might be worth swapping back to the original memory and see if the issue goes away.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

go back to the original ram first. I would always suspect RAM..it is so easy to get a bad stick, no matter who you buy it from.

5. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Out of interest, is there any other reason to do this than just assessing how your system runs out of the box? Just asking out of curiosity and also I have some RAM I was initially going to put in soon as I received my mac without switching it on first time

6. Bear macrumors G3

It's to make sure your system is working properly. You want to know if it's the iMac or the memory you installed that has the issue. That is if something is wrong.