New iMac dead in less than a week

Discussion in 'iMac' started by colt6920, Sep 9, 2011.

1. colt6920 macrumors newbie

Just bought a refurb iMac 27 inch with 3.4GHZ i7. I go to turn it on this morning and hear the chime then it goes to the gray screen and then black. I let it sit on the black screen for 30 mins before I shut it down. Tried again but holding shift to put it into safe mode and nothing just black.

Just needed to vent. Apple said take it to the nearest authorized service center and see what they come up with. I knew I should have bought a new one instead of a refurb.

2. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

3. 88 King, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

Sorry to hear that, and I can understand your frustration. Hopefully Apple can fix it ASAP for you.

Did you ran Apple Hardware Test by holding down D key after turn on the imac? I'm just curious on which part is not working.

Also do you get anything holding down alt key after turning it on.

P.S. If you have a copy of snow leopard installation dvd and an external hard drive, you can try to install a new copy of SL to that hd.

If you can boot into the new hd, then the stock hd needs to be replaced (quick and easy fix by Apple). If that don't work, then something is wrong with the motherboard (not so quick and easy fix by Apple).

4. Kenjhee macrumors regular

Well, that's too bad. I hope it works out for you quickly. We've all been there. I was doing the refurb thing for a while, but had a couple bad experiences. Now pretty much just do new.

5. v7da1 macrumors member

6. colt6920 thread starter macrumors newbie

I called apple care they didnt have me run those tests. They told me to unplug it then hold the power button for 20 seconds. Then try and boot into safe mode. The closest apple store is 2 hours away so i just took it to a certified repair shop, hopefully they do a good job in a timely manner.

7. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

Frustrating....yes. But you should have no problem getting a replacement from :apple:. Let us know how it goes. Apple has a pretty good reputation for resolving these types of issues in a positive manner to its customers.

8. jsolares macrumors 6502a

i would've taken it to the apple store, they might've given you a new one, the repair shop will only repair even if they have to change everything inside i believe

9. blunti macrumors 6502a

if it's only a week old why not just return it?

10. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

It was a refurb, so you wouldn't be able to find the same computer with those specs at the clearance price.

--

OP, I would have taken it to Apple. They probably would have had a custom order iMac fresh and ready for you.

11. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Nonsense! Refurbs have the same 14 day return policy as a new machine.

12. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

did you try resetting the pram?

-start your imac...now quickly (before start up chime sound) hold down "Command," "Option," "P" and "R"....continue to hold them down until you hear second chime and then release...

13. colt6920 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I called the repair shop and they said the problem was with the logic board and apple is going to overnight them a new one. Hopefully this fixes the problem and there arent anymore issues. I wish I could have taken it to an apple store cause they probably would have given me a new one on the spot but that was just not an option.

14. blunti macrumors 6502a

you have 14 days to return a refurb!

15. Žalgiris macrumors 6502a

Žalgiris

Things brake what a surprise huh?