New iMac - Dead Pixel Advice?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AJ-X, May 8, 2011.

1. AJ-X macrumors newbie

Hi there, I have just got a new 27" iMac and I have noticed that it has a dead pixel, and it is really starting to annoy me. I am just wondering if I were to exchange it what are the chances of me getting a perfect screen as I don't what to end up with a worse screen than what I already have.

Thanks

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Apple won't replace it just because of 1 dead pixel.

3. AML225 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Since you are still within the return period can't you just return it and get a new one no questions asked?

4. AJ-X thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I think I can but what are the chances of me getting a perfect screen? How common are dead pixels on iMacs?

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

As has been said, you could have trouble getting an exchange for just one dead pixel!

6. MR.Raul macrumors regular

MR.Raul

Within 14 days, one don't need a reason to send it back.

7. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Well, there are none on mine, that I've ever seen...

8. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

My macbook pro had one so I exchanged it within the 14 day period. They had no problem with me sending it back for this. Do it, dead pixels are pretty rare and we're stuck with these screens so they better look good.

9. sth macrumors 6502a

As already mentioned, dead pixels are very rare these days, especially on Apple products. Try to get it replaced ASAP.

10. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

Remember if you trade it in you run the risk of getting one that's even worse.

11. sth macrumors 6502a

FUD.

I wouldn't accept dead pixels on a $2000 computer these days.
    If the exchange machine has display problems as well, exchange it again.
    But the chances of that happening are very slim as dead pixels are not the norm these days.

12. AJ-X thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok guys, thanks for your help. I know it seems a little fussy but when I am paying £1400 on a computer I want it to be perfect.

13. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

It's not at all fussy. I cant believe some people who just say to put up with it. You paid for a perfect product. If it is anything less, you have every right to get a new one in exchange :)

14. AJ-X thread starter macrumors newbie

Thought I would ask in this thread rather than starting another. I have decided to take your advise and return my iMac but how do I go about clearing the hard drive and return it to factory settings?

Thanks

15. Toadette macrumors newbie

Personally I'd just delete the user account so it goes to the trash and secure delete it.

16. AJ-X thread starter macrumors newbie

This is my first Mac, so I am still getting to grips with the OS. How would I go about doing that?

Thanks

17. XxTheRemedyXx macrumors newbie

Just return it for a refund and purchase another machine. Don't tell them why you are returning as they may give you a hard time for 1 dead pixel. I would just say I changed my mind.

18. AJ-X thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump

19. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Does it really matter if you spend $50 or $3000 ? Dead pixels are so 1990s. (Unless you are spending $50 on a monitor because it has dead pixels.)

20. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've bought 14 LCD displays or computers with LCD displays since they became available and only had one with a dead pixel. I'd return any new computer with a dead pixel. There really is no excuse these days.

21. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

In System Preferences, Accounts, click on the Account in the left hand pane and use the - sign below the pane to delete the user.

If the account you're using is the primary administrator it may not let you remove it. You'll have to do a bit more research. :(