New imac decision

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ernestv, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Ernestv macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm currently looking towards buying an imac as a home pc. I will be using photoshop and editing some go pro videos apart from regular browsing etc..

The sales person bas recommended the 21.5 inch model for home use, and the 27 is out of my budget anyway...

I need some help in deciding between two 21.5" models which are basically selling at the same price:

Either go for the late 2012 2.9 Ghz model:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-IMAC-MD094-GEFORCE-GT650M/dp/B00AF82BKO

Or else go for the 2.7Ghz 2013 model;

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-ME086LL-21-5-Inch-Desktop-VERSION/dp/B004YLCIC4

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

2. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

Since your budget is limited, rather than focusing on the processor choice, make sure you buy enough RAM with your original purchase. On the 21.5 inch model, the RAM is not easily user upgradeable. You may want to consider up to 16 GB - perhaps you already have, but didn't mention it in your post. I doubt that the speed differences in the processors you mentioned will significantly alter your user experience, but the amount of memory might.

Also, are you familiar with the fusion storage option on the 2013 model?

----------

Actually the fusion drive is available on both the 2012 and 2013 models.

3. Jambalaya, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013

Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

I agree with post above RAM is more important than CPU.

These are older machines (old stock ?) with 5400 rpm HDD not newer 7200 rpm or of course SSD. I'd question getting 1tb of 5400 vs faster smaller drives. You can add external storage cheaply for backup/libraries

To confuse you further you might look at a Mac Mini with 8-16GB ram and a large external monitor. The 27 iMac is stunning and I wonder whether the 21.5 will suit, with a mini you can buy an external HD monitor or conned tit directly to your tv

4. Prise macrumors regular

Between the two in your link, I'd go with the more cost effective one--which appears to be the newest one.

In my view, unless you're planning to use very memory intensive tasks, 8 GBs should suffice. It's going to take at least a year or two before 16 Gbs will be required for "normal" users. By that time, it'd be better just to buy a new one, rather than having the extra Ram, while the rest of the system has been outdated.

Regarding the Mac Mini, I prefer the iMac. It's simpler with a single screen, as opposed having to find an external LCD and hooking it up. But, this is a personal preference.

5. minimalism macrumors member

Totally agree with the RAM. Max it out and if budget allows, go for SSD, it is more versatile than the typical hard drive.