Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
I mentioned before this, 2.4GHz 24" iMac is my third and skipped on the Apple Care on three.

Just curious if any MacRumors' picked up the Apple Care with their new iMac's.

oduinnin

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
Planet Earth
You Betcha!

When it comes to standard everyday appliances I avoid extended warrantees.

When it comes to personal computers, I find extended warrantees to be well worth it. With AppleCare, you get tech phone service extended to the full 3 years. That alone is worth the price.

So, yes I did get AppleCare with my new iMac.

MK2007

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
I never buy any extended warranties for anything. That includes my 24" iMac and the new Compaq laptop I bought today. I have never had a problem with anything I have purchased over about 30 years. To me, these extended warranties are a waste of money.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Many have gotten great value from AppleCare.

AC on my Rev. A iMac G5 is going to expire in about a month or less. I have never used it. Still glad I had it.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I did but only because got a significant discount for it (42% off). Haven't registered it though

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Since this is my first ever Apple computer, I bought Apple Care. Just wanted to make sure that I would be covered.

clickart

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2007
When is the last day that you can purchase applecare for your imac? do I need to keep the receipt for my imac? Just got an imac last week.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
When is the last day that you can purchase applecare for your imac? do I need to keep the receipt for my imac? Just got an imac last week.

You can purchase it anytime during the one year hardware warranty. Don't be one of the procrastinators who posts about what to do about getting AC on he last day of his warranty. ;)

CrouchingDonkey

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
Hong Kong
Buying AppleCare/Extended warranties are a personal preference I think.

I've never bought extended warranties for any electrical/electronic equipment I've bought. Like what MK2007 said, none of my gadgets have encountered problems after the initial 12/24 month warranty.

Funnily enough though, I have had to take back 2 iPods due to HD failure. One was a 4G iPod photo, and more recently a 5.5G iPod, but both these were within the 12 month warranty. A couple of weeks ago, the replaced iPod photo was 'dying'. I bought a replacement battery, and fitted myself. It now seems healthy.

My point is, if you don't want to risk paying over the odds to get something fixed in the future, then go for the extended warranties. I on the other hand, would much prefer to save that money, and fix it (if I can) or put it towards a replacement when the time comes, as by that time, it's probably due to be replaced anyway.

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
For my 24" 2.8Ghz, you bet I did. This is my first Apple, and I want to make sure that I'm covered if the quality isn't there. Also, the phone support was huge for me since I'm new.

I had extended coverage on a Fujitsu laptop I had...the display crapped out and Fry's wound up giving me a new one. Better CPU, better wireless....made the cost of the extended warranty VERY much worth it.

Hopefully, I'll never need the Applecare, but do you drive your car without insurance or run around without health insurance? I don't. Better safe than sorry, IMO.

JimmyD
:apple::apple::apple::apple:

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
As soon as I brought my 24" home and the GF told me I wasn't getting another computer for years (I guess she has had enough of machines randomly turning up here) I jumped online and ordered AppleCare (oh and 4 GB of RAM).

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
As soon as I brought my 24" home and the GF told me I wasn't getting another computer for years (I guess she has had enough of machines randomly turning up here) I jumped online and ordered AppleCare (oh and 4 GB of RAM).

Are you sure you're not going to be getting another GF in the next few years?!?! (lol)

Grab the pants from her NOW, dude, before it's too late!!!!:D

JimmyD

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Are you sure you're not going to be getting another GF in the next few years?!?! (lol)

Grab the pants from her NOW, dude, before it's too late!!!!:D

JimmyD

I've tried but after 7 years she dominates this relationship. Having said that though in the month before I bought this thing I did bring home 3 other computers (all tweaked and sold for a profit).

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I mentioned before this, 2.4GHz 24" iMac is my third and skipped on the Apple Care on three.

Just curious if any MacRumors' picked up the Apple Care with their new iMac's.

I would highly recommend that you make that decision on your own. The forum members could help make you or break you by following our decision on buying Applecare.
Example. You buy it and never use it then you will feel like you wasted money.
Or you decide not to buy it and something goes wrong after the first year or you may need phone support after the 90 days and you will be annoyed that you didn't get it.

That being said I buy Applecare on all my notebooks and Apple gave me a courtesy Applecare package when I bought my latest iMac. I was going to buy it anyway.

The only thing I will recommend is don't make decisions based on your previous experience with computers, that's the biggest mistake you can ever make.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
great price, its going to cost me $177 with tax If I get it, which I likely will.

normally I skip mac warranties, but may get it this time around.

You shouldn't be paying tax on an extended warranty. Where are you buying it from?

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
I think 1 year coverage is enough for me... If I am having problems with it within that year, I might get AC. If I don't and something happens to my mac, I have no problem with paying to fix it... if the total is less that AC...

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
One thing I'm wondering about is if you don't buy extended AppleCare and have a problem after the 3 months of phone support. Will you still be able to call them about the problem in order to get it fixed?
Is the extended phone support only about "how do I put files in the trash can" sort of questions?

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
This was my thought process regarding the matter..

My first mac was a 15" TiBook. I rarely took it anywhere, it spent 99% of its life on my desk sitting on an iCurve stand. It led an easy life and was the final revision of the Tibook, not a Rev. A.

Anyways, my TiBook had its display, logic board, memory and fans replaced. Since the iMac is has a LOT in common with a laptop (laptop chipset, compact design, mostly non-user servicable) I decided to get the applecare ($120 for students).

I don't really care about the phone support; in my experience, forums such as these provide much better support!

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I don't really care about the phone support; in my experience, forums such as these provide much better support!

Yeah, until your Mac has troubles connecting to the web then the forums are useless.:D

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc6 View Post

Yeah, until your Mac has troubles connecting to the web then the forums are useless.

Then you borrow somebody else's computer with internet :p

Wow... I must be desperate to do that :eek:

divedude

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2007
Yes, I got it. :) Just got news my 24" 2.8 will be here on the 13th. I already have 4GB waiting to feed it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.