New IMac Dilemma

Discussion in 'iMac' started by angus99, Oct 23, 2012.

  1. angus99 macrumors newbie

    Oct 12, 2011
    Last week I took a risk and bought a Dell XPS one 27” all-in-one with a £300 discount, as they were clearing stock ready for the release of the windows 8 touch version. I decided that if a new iMac was released today, and I liked the specs, I could return the Dell within the 7 day cooling off period and get the New 27” iMac. Problem is now I’ve reviewed the new iMac specs I can’t decide, especially without knowing the BTO prices. I've surprisingly been quite impressed with the Dell and even using windows hasn't bothered me as much as I expected.

    here's a comparison:

    Dell XPS one (£1199)
    • Ivy Bridge Core i7 3770s (3.1 GHz, 3.9 GHz turbo )
    • 27” 2560x1440 Samsung PLS display
    • 6Gb DDR3-1600 RAM
    • GT 640m 2Gb GDDR5
    • Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200-RPM SATA 6Gbps HDD
    • DVD Drive
    • Hybrid TV tuner
    • 6xUSB 3.0, HDMI in, HDMI out, Optical out
    • mSATA port for SSD

    If I keep it I’m intending to add a 128Gb Crucial M4 mSATA SSD for £80 and upgrade the RAM to 16Gb for £47. Total price after upgrades will be £1327

    Imac 27” (base price £1499)
    • 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
    • 27” 2560x1440
    • 1TB (7200-rpm) hard drive
    • 8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
    • GTX 660M 512 MB

    BTO options 1Tb fusion Drive £200 (based on New mac Mini BTO Price)
    16 GB Ram upgrade £60 From Crucial to fit myself.
    Total Price after upgrades £1760 (estimated)

    • Price
    • better CPU
    • HDMI in (currently have SKY HD, Freeview HD, and Blu-ray connected via an HDMI matrix and have so been able to remove the TV in the Study)
    • Built in TV tuner (can watch sky and Freeview in windowed mode while using the PC)
    • Optical drive
    • Easy access for upgrading HDD, SSD, etc. (back removable)
    • Won't have to wait until December

    • No OSX
    • Doesn't look quite as good
    • Not as Thin??
    • Display the XPS display is excellent but new mac anti-glare display likely to be better.

    Not Sure
    • GPU 640m with 2GB vs 660m with 512 MB, which is best

    Overall I think the specs are comparable, but with the £300 discount the Dell seems like a pretty good deal. If the new Mac had an HDMI input though I'd definitely return the Dell and wait for the new Mac.

    Need to decide by Thursday, so hope we get a bit more info on the BTO costs by then.
  2. KylePowers macrumors 68000


    Mar 5, 2011
    I think this is pretty simple. If you want OSX, get the iMac. If you don't, keep your Dell.

    OSX is the only reason I pay exuberant prices of their computers. The aesthetics and build quality are factors too, but OSX is definitely the number one reason.

Share This Page