New iMac: Dirt behind glass

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Chippy99, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

I am so gutted :-( Got my new iMac today and have been so excited. I have only had it an hour and within minutes I notice some gunk behind the glass. At first I thought it was a dead pixel - which maybe just maybe I could have put up with.

But looking closely, it's across 3 or 4 pixels so I think it is gunk - what do you think?

Is there anything Apple can do to fix this in store? Or is it an RMA job?

I am so ****ing hacked off :-(

[​IMG]

2. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Are you certain it's behind the glass? If it is, it's either some dirt as you say or a cluster of dead pixels.

Return it to Apple. They might be able to repair it in store (is it a 2012?) with a screen replacement, but if it's not a BTO machine they may just swap it out for a new one.

3. Chippy99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's a brand new 2012 BTO. i7, GTX 680, SSD :-(

So take it to a store you reckon? Or just send it back?

4. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

Looks like a dead insect to me :(. Frankly, I'd send it back for a full refund and reorder. I wouldn't even begin to mess with a repair. You deserve better!!

5. MeatRocket macrumors regular

Yeah, for a machine I'd just spent at least $2600 on, you'd better believe it would be an exchange, not a repair.

6. sick z33 macrumors 6502

Don't waste any time. Take back to Apple Store!

7. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

I've had something that looks like a set of matching fingerprints in a row on the right side of my screen since I got my 27" iMac over a year ago now. lol

That's really bad isn't it? I should have returned it immediately. The thing is, I rarely see them unless that area of the screen is displaying white or a very light color. So I keep putting off dealing with this. Over the course of this year or so things have gotten considerably worse with discoloration along all edges of the screen that is roughly 1.5 inches or more, like a rectangle frame around the display of I presume, dust and dirt inside of the screen, behind the glass.

By now I'm sure most of you think I am nuts or maybe just plain stupid but the thing is normally once it boots and the wallpaper displays or I am working in some centered window or playing a game, I rarely notice or see any of this. But it bugs me it is there. This machine cost me a lot of money and it should be perfect.

Why do I put up with this? I don't want to be without my iMac. I don't want some service place to keep it for a week or whatever and I'll be stuck browsing the web on a kindle and playing Android games although getting around to Final Fantasy III would be fun I guess.

Now, if I had a nice MacBook Air or something, this machine would already be fixed but no! It is a good thing I bought Applecare. I still have two years to get around to dealing with this.

On a bright note, I almost hope they can't fix it. I hope it keeps leaking in dust and dirt repeatedly. I think after three attempts with no joy they would give me a new iMac wouldn't they? I thought I've heard that someplace, 3 strikes and service is out. That would actually be quite nice and worth the inconvenience. But I'd better get off my rear and get the first repair done soon. :mad:

8. Chippy99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, called Apple and they are building me a new machine and sending it out for delivery next week.

I am not having much luck lately. Bought a LaCie Blade Runner 4TB drive from them 2 weeks ago: Visibly used and obviously not new - returned. Replacement arrived last week - faulty. Mac arrived yesterday - defective.

So 3 strikes. That said, they do give good service when replacing the stuff. I just wish they would get it right in the first place. If my new iMac had been even remotely checked or inspected it would never have gone out. The screen debris is visible at 6 ft without my glasses!