new imac display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by luminosity, Jul 2, 2011.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

So, I just bought an iMac 21.5 tonight, my first new desktop in eleven years. Its been laptops since 2006.

Something I was unprepared for was just how yellow-looking the generic profile would be. Pulling up Google on my 17' MBP and iMac yield radically different appearances. My MBP renders Google as a very clean and bright white, even though it's still using the original profile. My iMac renders Google as very yellow and somewhat dull looking. Everything seems to have a yellowish appearance to it on some level.

I've tried calibrating manually, but I didn't do a good job with it and it looked off in a different way. If I could somehow transfer my MBP's display to my iMac, I would be very pleased. Unfortunately, I know that's not going to happen.

Any straightforward help for someone who isn't good with complex steps would be much appreciated.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sounds like your iMac is suffering from the infamous yellow tint issue. It's quite common that iMacs' displays have some degree of yellowing. There are also several threads about this issue.

The only way to fix it is to ask for a replacement, although there is no guarantee that it won't suffer from the same issue.

3. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

:(.

I haven't kept up with iMac stuff at all, so I wasn't really thinking aware of this, though I think I've read about it in passing before.

Is it possible that the Apple Store I bought it from will refuse to take it back? It's very clearly yellow in tint, and not really subtle in any way, at least to my eyes.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If it is less than 14 days old, then it is still inside the 14-day return period so they must exchange it. If it's older, then Apple may choose to repair it instead.

5. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

Just brought it home tonight, so I'd like to think they would take it back.

I sure appreciate the information.