New iMac-do you wait or jump?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Prozac, Oct 28, 2009.

  1. Prozac macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2004
    #1
    I bought 1st Gen iMac, the day after it was released in Paris Expo 2004. Logicboard died within 6 months, by which time it was known that it had faulty capacitors. It is working well since:), except for power adapter replacement few months ago. Works fine most of the time, but it can not handle high pressure work any more sometimes even Safari4. Hence I have been waiting since the beginning of year for this update with iMac.

    Since I have been bitten by being early adapter before, I am wondering is it worth waiting few months before glitches are worked out? or are most people just buy and go for apple care?
     
  2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

    ziggyonice

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2006
    Location:
    Rural America
    #2
    I think diving right in will be well worth it. These new models aren’t as drastic of a change as yours was from back in 2004 — that was a new form factor entirely. I think if there’s been any iMac to wait for, this is it. I’d pick it up right away.

    EDIT: Granted, this seems a little interesting. Maybe waiting a month or two would be a good idea. :)
     
  3. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

    uuaschbaer

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    #3
    I'd wait two weeks after the release of the quad-core iMacs, unless this problem hasn't been solved yet by then. Many have it, but there is a possible solution on page three so perhaps the problem is gone in a few weeks.
     
  4. positively4st macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2009
    #4
    I'm also looking to buy a new imac, and am just wondering-- you really think a month or two would be best? Does it usually take that long to solve a problem like this? Also, do they usually get users a heads up after they fix the problem so they know it's okay to buy?
     
  5. robotkiller macrumors 6502

    robotkiller

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    #5
    If you really want to be as safe as possible, then I would wait for the first revision -- whenever that comes out. Typically the first run of any new model tends to have more problems, which are largely sorted out by the first revision. But this could mean waiting months.

    As for the display problem -- that could take awhile. Apple doesn't acknowledge it as a problem yet and this forum is the only one that has an active thread about it. I'm sure the problem will get resolved, but unless it becomes a very well known issue, I doubt Apple will publicize any specific fixes for it. The problem will probably just disappear.
     
  6. Prozac thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2004
    #6
    Display issues

    Scanning through the display issues like flickers and bands, looks like wait for revision of current hardware.
     
  7. dkd0nuts macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    #7
    when do you guys think the next minor hardware update will be... march maybe? or later.. i want a new graphics card!!
     

Share This Page