New imac-Does it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iwired, Mar 4, 2009.

1. iwired macrumors newbie

Dear All,

I'm new in this forum but, I've been using macs for more than a decade (not my own, from the jobs I had in the past; I own a powerbook G4).

As my title says, I'm wondering if it's still worth it investing in a mac and more specifically, from a student's point of view.

I'm currently in the UK, doing my masters degree in Design, and in the next few weeks I was planning to buy the 24in iMac with the 3.06GHz processor. Mostly, due to the small but significant discount Apple is offering to students. The iMac had a price around 1200 UK pounds which I had and was ready to spend. Now, with the introduction of the new iMacs the price went up. And it didn't just went up, we're talking about a rocket launch !!
    Now, if I want to buy the iMac I was thinking of I have to pay almost 420 pounds more !!
    So, my question is does it really worth it? I'm loyal to Apple because they do have the best computers in the market but, come on. Instead of reducing prices they increase them? Especially now with the recession?
    I can't afford-erase that-I don't have an extra 420 UK pounds to buy the iMac I wanted to.

Anyway, I just wanted to express my thoughts and to hear what other people have to say about it.

Have a good day and thank you for your time.

Cheers:apple:

2. HyperSnake macrumors member

The price increases are because of the dollar going up 15% the last month and the pound having been really, really low for the last ½ year. I bet Apple almost lost money on selling you guys computers.

3. iwired thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly. I have some fellow students who were also thinking of buying either a new laptop or an imac as I was but, now they're thinking it's not really worth it. They could had utleast kept the previous line of imacs in their store as they had done with the last white macbooks or, inform the public that their products will have a significant price increase.
    Instead, what they did is, they put their biggest smiles on their faces and up they went on the stage to say "hey, look we've got these fantastic new line of mac minis, macbook pros, imacs,...".

Anyway, thank you for sharing your opinion Hypersnake.

Cheers