New iMac doesn't appear in BT Home Hub Devices

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by redneon, Oct 20, 2010.

1. redneon macrumors member

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but I've asked on the BT community forums, to no avail.

I've recently bought a new iMac but it seems to be having a bit of trouble with my BT Home Hub router (in the UK). Problems that my previous iMac didn't have, funnily enough.

When I log on to the web interface and have a look at the devices that are connected my iMac doesn't appear. There's no unknown device there with the same MAC address as my iMac either. I actually have to click refresh to get a reliable list of connected devices but I'm not sure if that's related or not.

If I look at the DHCP table I see a device there that has the same IP as the one assigned to my iMac but the name of the device is "Unknown Host". This is strange because unknown devices are normally labeled "Unknown-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx" Where, the xx's are the MAC address of the device. If I click on the "Unknown Host" it just returns me back to the devices screen rather than taking me to a screen to configure the device.

Anyone in the UK with a Home Hub have any ideas?

2. Queso macrumors G4

I don't have a Home Hub, but it's possible that the encryption keys for your WiFi security are to blame. Are you using WEP or WPA2?

3. redneon thread starter macrumors member

I'm using WPA2.

4. Queso macrumors G4

OK. This was more of an issue with WEP, but it's possible that it will still work. Remove the settings for the WPA2 key on the Mac, then re-enter it.

To remove you need to go into your networking settings for the Airport interface and remove the preferred networks, then find and delete the Keychain entry for the SSID in the Utilities>Keychain Access app. Then reset the Airport interface (turn if off then on again) and try to re-attach to the Home Hub network. You'll be prompted to enter the WPA2 key.

5. redneon thread starter macrumors member

Ok. I'm at work at the minute but I'll give it a blast when I get home later and see if it works. Cheers.

6. redneon thread starter macrumors member

Nope. That didn't work.

It's like my iMac is hiding the MAC address of the Airport. Is this possible?