NEw imac doesn't have Internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smattmul, May 30, 2008.

1. smattmul macrumors member

smattmul

Hello

In regards to OS X, I have internet that i am useing now, Through a cable modem. ( NON WIRELESS) i.e ethernet

I have a new mac and tried to use BOOTCAMP to install Windows XP service pack 2. ( sucsessfuly with a 20 gig ( not FAT format , ???, i forget the acronym)

But internet exporer used with XP does not have working internet.
    THANKS PEOPLE

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Have you installed all the drivers that come on the Leopard Install DVD? If not, just boot into XP, insert the DVD and run the installation program.

3. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

when in XP check to see if you are pulling an IP? Check device manager to see if installed properly

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Are you using a router or connecting directly to the cable modem?

If your going directly to the modem, one thing you might want to find out is if your ISP is MAC Address specific. Meaning, your NIC card's MAC address (not to be confussed with Mac) is registered and they are not allowing any other NIC cards access. Some ISP's still do this, others contain a list of MAC addresses so you don't even know it's happening.

The MAC address might be different in OS X and Windows (via bootcamp) even if they are the same card.

Definitely start out by doing some basic network/hardware troubleshooting first:

In Windows; is the network card recognized (not the firewire connector), if it is connected is it setup for auto obtaining IP, ensure it's not disabled, etc.

5. smattmul thread starter macrumors member

smattmul

ok, No I did not load my mac DVDs but i have now, i think just the first disk will do it. Also, I am connected straight into my cable modem

OK i believe i have all my OS X Drivers, and still no internet

I will switch to XP now and check out device manager

also on my to-do list is preform trouble shoot.

THird check network card for auto obtain. OK thanks, i will get on it and let you now how it turns out. !!!!:D

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Thats not possible its wired into the card. Its even printed on the hardware. However, it is possible to spoof, but windows doesn't do this by default. :p

7. smattmul thread starter macrumors member

smattmul

"1394 net adapter"-in abled( i don't know anything about this) but i don't know how to find out if, MAC

don't know if... i have pulling an IP address
    nor know to find out

8. smattmul thread starter macrumors member

smattmul

Repair 1394 connection

Windows could not finishe repairing the problem beacuse the following action cannot be completed TCPI/IP is not enabled for this connection. Cannot proceed for assistance contact somene that isn't dumb

i don't know how to fix this, HELP

9. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Sorry I am a bit confused with your statement above. You need to install the drivers into Windows XP not OS X. This will enable the Ethernet (wired and wireless) in XP.

Did you do the following?

BOOT into Windows XP
    Insert your Leopard Install DVD (First Disc) into the DVD drive
    Go to 'My Computer' and look for the d: drive
    Double Click on the Setup.exe file to install the XP boot camp drivers.

10. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

1394 is a Firewire connection. Disable that network connection unless you connect to your internet via firewire cable and not cat6 or cat5.

If that's your only connection then windows is not seeing your actual network/lan/ethernet adapter.