New iMac dual monitor question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rhobes, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hi All-

I'm looking to buy a new iMac Quad i7 having the 27 inch monitor.

Is it possible to set this up with dual monitors? Is the Apple LED Cinema 24" flat panel just smaller but the same monitor that the 27" is? Both 16:9 ratio's?

I would like both monitors to be the same, that is, rendering the same colors and image size from one to the other. I assume you could turn one off/on when you needed it, if this is possible?

Thanks for any advise on this matter...:D

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

iMacs have been able to do dual screens for 5+ years.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1417918/officed.jpg (see my sig below)

At least for me, the second monitor has always been dedicated to non critical work -- email, iChat, iTunes, browsing, FTP, word files, etc.

You can turn it off, but if there are icons on that screen they will jump to the main screen.

Apple cinema display is $300 too much -- another $100 or so would get you into a matching 27" display -- Dell U2711 -- or $300 less would get you into a 24" display much like the Apple cinema -- Dell U2410 (even more when these go on sale)

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=224-8284

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8277

3. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Thanks for your reply Badger^2

In considering the Dell U2711; I see the ratio(16:9) & the resolution(2560 x 1440) are matched to the iMac 27" display.

What about color matching the two displays? Is there (I would assume) a calibration devise/software I would have to purchase also to get good color sync? :rolleyes:

4. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

I saw in the Buyers Guide on this Forum that there maybe a 27" monitor, apparently the same as the 27" iMac monitor, coming out this June. I would love that, especially if the price was around $1200 as the Dell U2711.

I'm thinking if that Apple monitor did come out then I may not have to invest in color calibration? :D

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Your monitors should still be color calibrated, no matter who makes them.

Have you ever used dual monitors before?

Are you a professional photographer?

It looks like you have a 17" imac and you are going to twin 27" screens?

Pretty much you have a main monitor and a secondary, not 2 primaries

6. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

I have never used Dual monitors before. I am not a professional photographer by trade but certainly by pass time, I own a good portion of Nikon so to speak.

I also build web sites and view allot of Adobe Total Training DVD's utilizing all the onscreen projects which you want to keep up front. Website stuff, boy, I like to keep allot on screen & the more the better. The website stuff is the main reason to want the two monitors as identical as possible, color, size, so I know what I'm looking at is real & don't have to rework/resize/color etc. I'm afraid I won't know what I got going at a glance if the monitors don't show the same(I may spend time double checking eg. the image size to see if I sized it, compared to the other monitor).

I don't know what you mean by having a main & secondary, or two primaries. I'm thinking, off hand, that the 27" monitor that comes with the i7 will be the "main" work area and the added monitor(also the work area, but moved to the "main" before iChat/entertainment) used for independent play.

I think I would use duals as you mentioned; nice to keep current work flow on one & if you want to iChat(my wife lives in MD & I'm in MT), surf, view videos etc. you can do it on the other, that would be great.

You mention both monitors should be calibrated even if the same Brand, sounds right. So, next question, any suggestions on calibration software?

Thanks for your your suggestions & help Badger^2 ...:D:

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Did you see my setup above? 24" iMac + 20" screen.

24" for working, 20" for the extras -- yes, you can use the extra screen for all of that.

As for calibration, its a good idea, but pretty useless for web work. Unless, of course, you are planning on going out and calibrating everyone on the whole planets screen as well...?

What you see on your screen will *never* look like what I see on my screen no matter how much calibration we do. just not possible. pipe dream.

Spyder 3 Pro is what I would go with, about $150. I have a V2 model, works well on both my glossy iMacs and matte Dell screens.

have you thought about maybe just giving a single 27" screen a shot for awhile? might be plenty...

8. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Yes, I checked out you home system link.

I have the 17" screen now and that just doesn't cut it. But yes, I've held up the tape measure and that 27" is a far cry from this 17". Your right, maybe I should go with the 27 and see if that works for me. With what I have right now, that 27" would be huge and work so much better.

I feel like I just got hit with a hammer. I think your right on. I should go with the 27" use it, and if I still want more take it from there.

But, doesn't that make this post a total sham? What about good old fashioned American greed, what of that? Isn't it better to have too much than a scant too little?....

Thanks for your insight, amazing what happens when your in a shopping mood(reality takes the back seat). Thank You-

You know this that means? One last final O.K. from the little Lady and I'm going to click the buy button at the Apple store...