New iMac/external HDD iTunes library question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by efp722, Sep 9, 2011.

1. efp722 macrumors regular

So I just picked up a new iMac and I am in the process of moving all my stuff over from my macbook. I had my entire iTunes library running off my external harddrive on my macbook.

I am trying to get iTunes on my iMac to pull all my music into my library so I can listen to my music and watch my movies etc. I already went and changed the location of my iTunes folder inside of iTunes preferences and it is set up to the correct location of my previous .

so in a nutshell.. I want to keep everything on the external drive and off my iMac completely.

Anyone have an advice on how to get this going? Cause I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance!

2. heliocentric Guest

In the iTunes options you can stop it from copying files that are dragged into the iTunes folder onto your internal hard drive. So when that is checked you can drag all your media over and itwill run from the external hard drive.

iTunes Preferences > Advanced > "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" [uncheck]

(Also I think you can hold down the option key when dragging over media as another option)

3. efp722 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay cool, I see the option. When I get everything to show up in iTunes, should I go ahead re enable that option? that way when i add something it copies to my external?

Thanks for your help!

4. heliocentric Guest

If you have set the iTunes folder to on the external hard drive it should be ok

5. henry72, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

You should just simply copy the whole iTunes library to your external drive, then hold option key and open iTunes, now select the library from your external drive. Don't change the location from iTunes setting!!

You should ALWAYS tick copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library. So every time when you drag anything to iTunes, it will automatically create a file and folder under iTunes folder (I call it library).

In this way, you will have no problem when opening your iTunes library on other Macs ;) Hope this help.

If this is not working. I'd strong suggest you do this:

1. Hold down option key and open iTunes, then create new library and choose the location (in your case - External drive).
    2. Make sure you've ticked "copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library" this is VERY important if you want your library to be organised.
    3. Drag and drop all your iTunes Media folder from your old iTunes.
    4. Finally, it will transfer everything and it will automatically create all the folders for you under you external hard drive.
    5. DO NOT modify anything inside your new iTunes library. If there is anything like Artist name or song name that you wanted to change, just goto iTunes, right click the song and change it. It will automatically change the folder name and everything for you. Isn't it AMAZING :D

Now you will have a simple and organised iTunes library. When you want to open your iTunes library, hold down option and chose library.

I've tried so many different ways to manage my library. Believe me or not, this is the BEST way :)

6. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Cheers for the info I just lost half my collection due to hardware failure n looking at ways to do something decent to keep it all safe