New iMac - Eyes are going crazy

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ckeck, Oct 29, 2013.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Picked up a new Haswell iMac the other day and I'm noticing a very strange problem. My eyes cannot seem to focus properly on this thing at all. I've been adjusting brightness all over the place but for years use somewhere between 40-60% depending on other lighting conditions and haven't had a problem. This is also my 3rd or 4th 27" iMac and I don't recall any significant issues with the others, including my Ivy Bridge model I sold a few months back.

I started having minor eye strain problems a few years back and picked up some Gunnar glasses which helped a bit but this is totally different. I have 20/13 vision and I can't seem to focus on this thing. My eyes physically hurt after about an hour and everything is slightly blurry, all the time. Anyone else ever come across this?

I've tried adjusting brightness even further and have also tried using F.lux which is indeed nice, but isn't helping with the eye strain. My MBA and Dell monitors in my office seem mostly fine. I think some of the issues are carrying over after looking at the iMac but my Air and the 2412M monitors are MUCH better if I spend a few minutes on them alone.

I have an eye appointment in the morning just to make sure nothing crazy is going on but I could swear it has something to do with this iMac. Any similar experiences or other things I could try would be helpful, I'd rather not have to return it and figure out a non-iMac solution (which means either a Mac Pro or an all laptop configuration).

Just to note: I've even changed up the lighting in my office which has been the same for years and there is no glare on the glass screen in it's position (no overhead lights or windows).

:confused:

2. Zerotolerance macrumors member

Something similar happened to me when I bought the late 2013 iMac a few weeks ago, but I was coming from a 2006 white iMac with a matte screen so it was a huge adjustment for me. It was my sense the iMac's screen seemed just too intense. Plus, my contact lenses give me monovision, so it can be hard for me to focus. I positioned it where there wasn't any glare, so that wasn't it. I tried the Kuzy anti-glare screen filter, but that just made everything fuzzy so I removed it. I tried Shades, which seemed to help a little. Eventually, after about a week, my eyes got used to the screen so I have no problems now.

3. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

i had a similar issue with my 2011 imac, in the end i removed the glass front "window" (easier on the 11 because its just magnetically held on) and replaced it with an anti glare Matt "window" i had cut, worked a treat.

4. DianeK macrumors regular

I have the same impression with my new iMac that I just received as a replacement for a defective 2011...that type just doesn't seem as crisp as on my older unit (which I no longer have so I can't do a side-by-side comparison unfortunately). I seem to be more aware of the minute cross-hatching present especially when on light colored backgrounds like this reply window. I know these Haswells were supposed to be engineered with less glossy glare so perhaps there has been a change in the glass?
    Diane

5. ckeck, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I can't remove the glass on the 2013 with all the glue, or at least I'd rather not. Seems strange that I never had an issue with my last 2-3 iMacs though.

Went to the eye doctor today and couldn't find anything specifically wrong. Did all the tests available and I was even able to read the 20/10 line with no help. Said usually months go by between folks who can do that, but that doesn't make me feel any better unfortunately.

Got some glasses for the computer just to help ease the eyes a little and there could be some inflammation caused by a chronic arthritic condition I didn't think about. After a while it can cause iritis in some so I'll be doing some steroids in eye drop form. Really hope something settles this down because I'd hate to have to return this. Otherwise a solid machine.

As I mentioned, I have some slight issues on other screens (laptops, dells, etc) but nothing as severe as the iMac. Bummer.

6. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Take this from a life-long expert: if you are susceptible to Iritis, you must tone the screen glare down as low as possible, while still able to read it. Also, a large screen that allows for glare coming into the sides of your eyes will only make things worse.

While on the steroids, rest your eyes as much as you can.

7. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Thank you for the comment. I've kept things like the brightness levels very low the last week or so just in case, but it doesn't seem to make it much better. I'll plan to leave it there for a while. Also using F.lux to give the screen a warmer profile.

Definitely trying as much as work will allow to get away from the screen. Came here to post a follow-up after staying away all day, but that's tough. Just 5 days of the drops and then back for a follow-up to see if there is any initial impact. Will be testing out the glasses to see if that helps tame it down at all.

8. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

When at the eye doctor ask for glasses with anti glare coating...i used to have major issues with computer and my eyes...then had these made a couple years back and my eyes have so thanked me!

9. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Yeah, even though my vision is technically "perfect" he gave me a slight prescription to ease the stress on them I guess. I picked up the AR lenses and just now trying them out today. Not really used to magnification in lenses so it's a bit strange but seems to be helping some.

I've been using the Gunnar lenses (with no prescription) for a while which actually helped a lot with eye strain, for a while anyways. Maybe once I see how these work I'll get some of those with the prescription lenses and have the best of both worlds.

10. eladnova macrumors member

Hi ckeck
    Your post reminded me of a thread I saw months ago and I wonder if your problem is related. Imac owners eyes going nuts with new 27 " model. I think people suggested the refresh rates or something were off. User may have even returned imac...not sure but worth a forum search?

Beautiful machine to cause you probs. best of luck getting sorted.

11. Arfdog macrumors 6502

No problem here on my 2012 27" iMac. I wear -3.5 glasses too.

12. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I know, very unfortunate as it's definitely a solid machine otherwise. I've been to the eye doc, taking steroid eye drops and have some new special glasses to help. It's made a slight difference but not enough I'm afraid.

Think I might end up having to return this (damn) and replace with an updated Mini whenever those come out so I can hook up some regular Dell UltraSharp monitors.

Bummer :(

13. zerozoneice macrumors regular

i personally find the screen too damn sharp, exp. when reading webpages/text.
    must be the 1080 resolution cramped in such relatively small diagonal...

for photos and stuff it's fine, but Safari is painful, esp. that you can't easily force minimum font size lately....

Chrome on bootcamp looks miles better, even than on native OS X.

14. macthefork macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem. For a while I was wondering if it was something like UV from the LEDs causing it. My eye doc said he'd never heard of such a thing. My eyes would even tear up.

Anyway, I have the brightness at about 30% and reset the monitor profile to to reduce the blue, and increase the red slightly. That has helped and doesn't bother me so much anymore. At least it's usable. I think the LEDs the monitor uses put out a harsh glare that's just hard to stare at for any length of time.

15. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

my 09 27" iMac messed with my eyes when I first got it. then I figured out it was just the brightness I have mine set 3 from all the way dim and love it.

16. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Hey, I read you may think it's due to brightness and have been adjusting the levels. Did you uncheck the auto-brightness option as well?

17. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Yeah, I've been running the brightness at 20-40% which helps a little but still can't seem to focus as well as other monitors right next to it (or my MBA or MBP). Very strange.

I also would prefer not to pay a premium for this screen and have to run it almost completely dark. Everything else I ususally run about 50% so not expecting to max out the brightness, but I feel staying at 20-30% is a little too dark for long-term. The screen loses a lot of it's "brilliance" that way.

18. aznboi91 macrumors regular

I'm not sure if this is going to explain anything but didn't apple say that they laminated the screen to the glass with like 75% reduction in refraction? This is different from reflection... Basically what it means is that you're staring straight at the light and there is barely a layer of glass in between... Light is coming at you much faster into your eyes. So i guess if you tone the rate back to 60hz or lower it should help a bit...

I just remember this from my high school physics haha

If I'm wrong please let me know Thx.

19. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I agree. It's a big expense and if you're not happy with it, don't force yourself to use it. Return it and get something that will work for you. Maybe a Mini and a DELL Ultrasharp Monitor? They are antiglare.

----------

They said less reflective.

20. magilla macrumors regular

I understand that Apple is soon releasing their updated version of the Mk MCMLXVII (6) (c) (i.e.) Human Eyebulb as a direct replacement for the current Mk 1 eyebulb. This, in addition to their upgraded iOS 19 software should alleviate any vision problems you're having with your current model(s).:D

----------

Um ... "...light is coming at you much faster into your eyes." Just "how much" faster?:eek: And just how are you measuring this difference it the speed of light from the light emitter (read screen) to the OP's eyes?

Don't get me wrong, but the planet you learned your "high school physics" on isn't on this Brane.

21. palmharbor macrumors 6502

3 iMacs?

I cannot imagine why you are buying a new iMac so often. Are you having that many problems or do you just buy a new one when a new one comes out.
    I have a mac mini and I get to chose the monitor. I have a 23"Acer that I got for $100 and I have had no problem. If I did, it would just be about $100 again. This is why the mini is the best deal

22. dmendel macrumors newbie

Same problem here. Ironically, just today I posted the follow comment to a huge apple discussions forum thread of 90 pages with nearly 1400 responses on the issue of ill effects from apple displays (https://discussions.apple.com/message/22134685#22134685):

I just returned my new 27-inch iMac because of the screen. Like people are reporting here, it immediately gave me serious eye strain, tightness in the eyes, foggy/light-headedness, nausea and mild headache. After a few days it got a little better, but never abated completely. It seemed like there was a very faint shimmer to the monitor -- not a flicker, but a very subtle shimmering. I had a very hard time focusing on the screen -- it felt like my eyes kept jumping around. I could barely look at the screen when scrolling. My eyes would not refocus on text when scrolling stopped. I turned down brightness, I installed f.lux to adjust the color temperature, I installed bias lighting. While it helped somewhat, the unpleasant effects never fully abated. Plus I found myself staring at a very dim yellow screen. Seems to defeat the purpose of having a $2,000 iMac.

I have absolutely no problems with other LCD monitors or screens. I have been staring at a 17-in iMac (2006 rev 4,1) for the last 7 years for hours on end 6-7 days a week, with no ill effects. I use an HP 22-inch at the office, have a 2008 13" MacBook that I use regularly, and an iPad 2 that I use all the time. No problems with any of them.

I am now back to using my 2006 iMac running OS Tiger, which is very long in the tooth. I was so looking forward to the new iMac. I will likely buy a mini when it is refreshed, hopefully within the next couple months, and start searching for a monitor that will not make me sick. I have seen some suggestions in this thread, but if anyone can point me to monitors (models, or specific characteristics -- type of backlighting, coatings, etc.) that might work for me, I would be grateful.

I wish I knew what was causing this so I would know what to avoid in a new monitor. It could be any number of things in combination or alone: the LED backlighting (the brightness, reported at 407 cd/m2, or the high blue color spectrum), the IPS, the glossy screen, the front glass being laminated to the LCD, the particular anti-glare coating that is used, the contrast ratio (reported as 904:1), the PPI (reported as 108.79). Ever since I got the new iMac and experienced the problems I have been scouring the internet for answers. I can't say I am much the wiser.

23. aznboi91 macrumors regular

Did you experience this problem out of the box?

24. sbrage2000 macrumors member

I would say it's definitely the glossy screen on the iMac. I know they are supposed to have reduced that somewhat, but having looked at it in store I thought it was still too reflective for my taste. I had symptoms like you describe when I first got my MacBook Pro. At least with that, I can tilt the screen so it doesn't pick up as much reflection. Really wish they would make a matte screen version of the iMac.

25. mrmarts, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

mrmarts macrumors 65816

To me the new iMacs are like looking an old iPhone 3GS but from a blown up perspective.