New iMac, faulty USB?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by matsj, Oct 14, 2013.

1. matsj macrumors newbie

I got my new 27" iMac a week ago, and pretty soon discovered that I couldn't get my USB sound interface to work properly with it. I get drop-outs and some clicks and pops. First I thought it was a problem with Logic, but as it turned out all applications act the same way.

As I still have my old 2009 iMac I tested them side by side, and the interface works perfectly fine on the old computer.

After calling Apple support a couple of times and coming to the conclusion it's a hardware error, they recommended that I get a replacement Mac. It will take a while — estimated delivery date is October 31.

So now I'm waiting, and a little worried that the new iMac will have the same problem.

Has anyone had similar experiences? My interface btw is a Roland Octa-Capture.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Were you running the same version of OS X on both iMacs? (10.8.4 or 10.8.5)?

There is always a small chance a new computer will have a hardware issue and hopefully in your case that is what it is.

3. matsj thread starter macrumors newbie

I received my replacement iMac last week, and it's displaying the same problems. It seems there's an issue with Fusion drives and running and external audio interface. A lot of people are experiencing the same thing.

Here's a thread on Gearslutz.

And here's one on Apple support forum.

I'm playing it safe and returning my second iMac as well. Hopefully the problem will be resolved and I can re-order with confidence at a later time.