Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atheos13

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
thesdx, that is a rather beautiful-looking display, and even though I know everyone must realize this, but I feel like I have to point out the mockups coming up in these threads have been getting thinner and thinner lately, begging the question, just where are they supposed to put the computer? I'm seeing flat bases and thin screens with nothing behind them and I just think we might be getting a little carried away here. IMHO I think :apple: will be going in a different direction (or at least I'm kinda hoping) than just being thin.

And I like that you guys like my idea concerning the choice between leopard/iLife coupon and the iPod discount. It's mostly something I'd like that Apple did since I think it could work out for them if they were to release the new OSX-based iPods after the iPod discount ends and at that time selling any new macs with the leopard coupon and perhaps having iLife come out either with the iPod or with leopard.

And since this thread is based on possible specs and fan predictions here are some of my thoughts:
Mouse and Keyboard- we'll hopefully be seeing something new, some meshing of multi-touch and backlighting (I think it could be cool to have a full iPhone-like keyboard that just comes off as a clear and long tablet when it's not on, can't see too much use for it, but I'd love for them to get creative with all of our peripherals. But I'm just hoping for anything new on this front that's designed along with the style of the new enclosure.)
Video Card- Just give us something powerful, the 8 series, the better it is the quicker I'll jump on it.
Processor- I would love a departure to a quad-core desktop chip only because the iMacs seem to be coming off simply as less expensive, unmovable, non-lap burning MacBook Pros.
Hard Drive- 250GB as the default option on the 20", 250 or 500 for the 24". The idea of a second hard drive, once again, would be a dream come true with the oncoming Time Machine.
Memory- 2GB minimum on anything $1500+ with a 4GB max unless they go with desktop processors.
Screen- LED would be awesome to dissipate heat caused by a quad-core chip, but I think the most we could hope for is all this down the road rather than this update. I'll just go with the 20 and 24" options to be safe.
Nothing much new, just in different words.

D ROCK

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
thesdx, that is a rather beautiful-looking display, and even though I know everyone must realize this, but I feel like I have to point out the mockups coming up in these threads have been getting thinner and thinner lately, begging the question, just where are they supposed to put the computer? I'm seeing flat bases and thin screens with nothing behind them and I just think we might be getting a little carried away here. IMHO I think :apple: will be going in a different direction (or at least I'm kinda hoping) than just being thin.

And I like that you guys like my idea concerning the choice between leopard/iLife coupon and the iPod discount. It's mostly something I'd like that Apple did since I think it could work out for them if they were to release the new OSX-based iPods after the iPod discount ends and at that time selling any new macs with the leopard coupon and perhaps having iLife come out either with the iPod or with leopard.

And since this thread is based on possible specs and fan predictions here are some of my thoughts:
Mouse and Keyboard- we'll hopefully be seeing something new, some meshing of multi-touch and backlighting (I think it could be cool to have a full iPhone-like keyboard that just comes off as a clear and long tablet when it's not on, can't see too much use for it, but I'd love for them to get creative with all of our peripherals. But I'm just hoping for anything new on this front that's designed along with the style of the new enclosure.)
Video Card- Just give us something powerful, the 8 series, the better it is the quicker I'll jump on it.
Processor- I would love a departure to a quad-core desktop chip only because the iMacs seem to be coming off simply as less expensive, unmovable, non-lap burning MacBook Pros.
Hard Drive- 250GB as the default option on the 20", 250 or 500 for the 24". The idea of a second hard drive, once again, would be a dream come true with the oncoming Time Machine.
Memory- 2GB minimum on anything $1500+ with a 4GB max unless they go with desktop processors.
Screen- LED would be awesome to dissipate heat caused by a quad-core chip, but I think the most we could hope for is all this down the road rather than this update. I'll just go with the 20 and 24" options to be safe.
Nothing much new, just in different words.

Like he said!
I also would love to see something groundbreaking that will leave the other manufacturers saying "now why didn't we do that?"
I think the touch screen thing is dumb but a touch keyboard and mouse could be very cool.
I wonder about the impact on the fingers drumming on a hard-tabletop-glass-like surface will be though????

D ROCK

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
I am thinking it might be wishful at best but with a new case design Apple could possibly go with the desktop processors couldn't they?
or is it still way too hot to even consider with brushed metal full of holes backside?

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Like he said!
I also would love to see something groundbreaking that will leave the other manufacturers saying "now why didn't we do that?"
I think the touch screen thing is dumb but a touch keyboard and mouse could be very cool.
I wonder about the impact on the fingers drumming on a hard-tabletop-glass-like surface will be though????

The impact on the fingers and the impact on the bank accounts and credit cards, how much money are we talking here for a keyboard? I can go to my college bookstore and get an Apple Keyboard for $29 not a chance that a LED multi touch screen will be under $200 I would pay for it, I would love to configure the keyboard to be a piano keyboard to use in GarageBand or show shortcut keys in FCP but still this would bring the price of the iMac up I think.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
I would love to configure the keyboard to be a piano keyboard to use in GarageBand or show shortcut keys in FCP but still this would bring the price of the iMac up I think.

Does any company make piano size keyboards for apple computers? It would be fun to play around with garageband like that.

atheos13

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
The price of a multi-touch LED keyboard

I could imagine a class panel keyboard with its own OS so that it could display a piano surface, it could display any configuration of buttons, audio controls for music editing, whatever. As far as pricing goes it could bypass that 1200 dollar optimus keyboard with it's programmable keys. It would have about seven customers, one of them being the mother of the designer, and so it would be a complete waist of money as far as Apple is concerned, at least in the current market. So we're nowhere near that concept, of course we have just seen the technology that is the iPhone.

So yeah, Apple could perhaps put out a keyboard the same price as an iMac, the 24" that is, and if I had the money I might even buy it. And yes, from a financial standpoint this product cannot exist, but if just for a second we were all distracted by just how much Apple could show off that keyboard and how much everyone would lust for it, then I don't know, we'd all waste a few precious moments. But you know, you can't hate on imagination.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
So I've been frequenting these forums for a while now and finally got around to registering, mostly to share this single idea.

I've heard a lot of talk about the release of the new iMacs concerning leopard coupons and free iPod promo deals. Well here's my two cents. The iPod promo gives you $200 off on a new mac purchase for an iPod. iLife is rumored to have recently gone golden master, iLife typically costs $80 for the new version, unless of course it comes on your new mac. Leopard will cost $130. The cost of iLife and Leopard put together come very close to that $200.

So here's my theory. The iMac will be released before the iPod promo ends. People will have the option to either select that promo, or get a coupon for leopard and iLife. When the iPod promo ends then perhaps iLife will come out around that time and new mac computers will come with the new iLife version, of course, and they will come with a coupon for leopard since it will be released very soon at that point, as long as everything goes as planned.

Feel free to tell me what you think.

Have a look Here on why the leopard (free upgrade) idea is a No Go .. :eek:

• 20" and 24" displays
  • Faster dual-core CPU, with quad core option.
  • 8000 series NV GPU
  • Bluray option
  • 2GB RAM standard, upgradable to 4GB
  • Higher clocks for the FSB and RAM
  • Aluminum enclosure (with Mac Pro finish, and perforation on the back panel for ventilation.)
  • Smaller chin.
  • New keyboard that borrows heavily from the iPhone.
  • Possibly a new mouse, with capacitance sensor for scrolling, instead of the problematic ball.
  • Tiger installed, with coupon for free upgrade to Leopard and iLife07.

Well for your 'dream' iMac setup: Why would Apple "cut" into {Pro-Sales} by adding a Blu-Ray drive before the Pro-line and Video Spec is (out-of-line) for a consumer - line so soon..

Given that the current imac is based on laptop components but has limited cooling, perhaps it would be to much to hope that it will use desktop components but if so...
I think it will be as follows:

Quad core CPU starting at 2.4 Ghz
Intel wants to make all its non mobile CPU's to have 1333MHz FSB
2-8GB RAM
as I am not allowed to mention TS then 2 hard drives would be nice

If as rumored it has an aluminium case I dont think it will resemble the current cinema displays but both the Imac and Cinema displays would re designed this would then have better heat dissipation to allow the use of desktop components and graphics as below

Nvidia 8800 graphics remember the current Imac has better graphics than the previous MBP the current having 8600M graphics, the only sticking point to the graphics would be the form factor of the graphics card.

The achilles heel of the Mac Pro is graphics power but with the above 8800gtx running in SLI...

Also an Imac with TS and in built DVB Tuner could be positioned as a home media centre with the possibility to put these in more rooms.

Have you realized that Quad - Core Cpu requires more exhaust area than a laptop based Cpu... Video spec is No because: Video Spec is (out-of-line) for a consumer - line so soon..

Oh the {dual-hard drive} idea ummm and again 'cutting' into MP sales again..

Well, I have some percentages of my own.

Mouse/Keyboard 100%

Hard Drive 100%

Apple Logo 100%

Video Card 100%

Intel processor 100%

I could go on.

Two Words: Check-Mate :D

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Well, for what it's worth, here is my prediction. Totally serious (as you will see from the specs)

17" iMac continued as education thing

20" iMac (Low End)
Processor: 2.0 GHz Santa Rosa Merom
Video Card: 8600M 128MB
RAM: 1 GB
Hard Disk: 160 GB

20" (Mid End)
Processor: 2.2 GHz Santa Rosa Merom
Video Card: 8600M 256MB
RAM: 2 GB
Hard Disk: 250 GB

24" (High End)
Processor: 2.2 or 2.4 GHz Santa Rosa Merom
Video Card: 8600 256MB (Note lack of "M") (Maybe something better like 8800 GTS as option? Probably pushing it a bit)

As you have probably guessed, these predictions were gotten from comparing the old iMac to the old Macbook Pro, and considering the new Macbook Pro.

(Silently rants about how multitouchscreens are stupid and that Apple won't use them any time soon, unless maybe in some optional and very expensive keyboard)

Not so silently rants that the iMacs are not going to get quad core processors until there is a quad core mobile penryn in a year or so. When the Macbook Pro gets them. I think the iMac will continue to use notebook insides.

Mac.Jnr

macrumors member
May 26, 2007
Well, for what it's worth, here is my prediction. Totally serious (as you will see from the specs)

20" iMac (Low End)

20" (Mid End)

24" (High End)
Video Card: 8600 256MB (Note lack of "M") (Maybe something better like 8800 GTS as option? Probably pushing it a bit)

As you have probably guessed, these predictions were gotten from comparing the old iMac to the old Macbook Pro, and considering the new Macbook Pro.

(Silently rants about how multitouchscreens are stupid and that Apple won't use them any time soon, unless maybe in some optional and very expensive keyboard)

Not so silently rants that the iMacs are not going to get quad core processors until there is a quad core mobile penryn in a year or so. When the Macbook Pro gets them. I think the iMac will continue to use notebook insides.

Your predictions are pretty realistic and are likely.

24" Non LED

2.2ghz or 2.4ghz
250gb HD
1Gb Ram
8600GT BTO 8600GTS

superlatic

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
Leeds, UK
there or there abouts

20" iMac (Low End)

20" (Mid End)

24" (High End)

i think your pretty much spot on there

one or two things thouth

- the 24" model i rec is more or less a certainty to come with 2GB ram. Consumer or not, will be more or less a $2000 (probs bout £1300 over here) computer, wouldnt expect any less. Still wouldnt rule it out on your mid end 20"
- Think with the GPU the upgradable option could be to the 8700m, and as both that and 8600m support up to 512mb vram i think we could see an option for more vram on the 24".
- Your hard disk options remain unchanged? Although it wouldnt surprise me, you not think the stock HDD may receive a small bump to say 320GB?

and the things you didnt mention
- Blu-Ray: Think we will see in Mac Pro before imac
- HDCP compatable displays: with leopard being able to play blu ray and/or hd dvd movies, think it would be sensible to make the displays fully compatible. Even if there is no blu ray, consumers may want the option to add an external player somewhere down the line.
- Design: I think we are looking at very similar to what the imacs are now except replace white plastic enclosure with aluminium (not necessarily brushed aluminium), and smaller chin.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
i think your pretty much spot on there

one or two things thouth

- the 24" model i rec is more or less a certainty to come with 2GB ram. Consumer or not, will be more or less a $2000 (probs bout £1300 over here) computer, wouldnt expect any less. Still wouldnt rule it out on your mid end 20"
- Think with the GPU the upgradable option could be to the 8700m, and as both that and 8600m support up to 512mb vram i think we could see an option for more vram on the 24".
- Your hard disk options remain unchanged? Although it wouldnt surprise me, you not think the stock HDD may receive a small bump to say 320GB?

and the things you didnt mention
- Blu-Ray: Think we will see in Mac Pro before imac
- HDCP compatable displays: with leopard being able to play blu ray and/or hd dvd movies, think it would be sensible to make the displays fully compatible. Even if there is no blu ray, consumers may want the option to add an external player somewhere down the line.
- Design: I think we are looking at very similar to what the imacs are now except replace white plastic enclosure with aluminium (not necessarily brushed aluminium), and smaller chin.

I don't think we'll see the 8700M in any Apple products. The desktop version of the 8600 should be much more powerful.
No Blu-Ray or anything super fancy.
I don't think they will have LED screens, or any real screen related upgrades.
Probably thinner design (just a bit thinner) Don't know about materials, Aluminium seems likely.

OK, 250GB HDD on 20" models, 500GB on 24".
Maybe Apple's 9" X1900XT that was circling the web a while back will find its way into the 24" iMac as the super graphics upgrade?

superlatic

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
Leeds, UK
I don't think we'll see the 8700M in any Apple products. The desktop version of the 8600 should be much more powerful.
No Blu-Ray or anything super fancy.
I don't think they will have LED screens, or any real screen related upgrades.
Probably thinner design (just a bit thinner) Don't know about materials, Aluminium seems likely.

OK, 250GB HDD on 20" models, 500GB on 24".
Maybe Apple's 9" X1900XT that was circling the web a while back will find its way into the 24" iMac as the super graphics upgrade?

would be inclined to defo agree with that, think on at least the 24" model we wil see a larger stock option than 250GB

LED at the moment is too expensive, but dont think its unreasonable to expect screens with faster response times and HDCP compatible

And blu ray although would be very nice as a BTO, unlikely that it will be seen in imac before mac pro,

outside (and i mean outside!!!) chance of a combo drive that can read/write DVD and read blu ray.

re graphics though, i was under the impression apple used laptop GPUs in all of the imacs????

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2007

I was also thinking of a keyboard like this, however, this would have several issues with it:

1. Hard to type on - Most people are used to feeling where the keys are, and then typing. Also, people with long fingernails would have a hard time typing. They'd have to type REALLY REALLY SLOW.

2. The price - The keyboard alone would be around $100-$200. Most people just want a keyboard that has keys and gets the job done. A touchscreen keyboard is sort of an unnecessary novelty.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
To everyone poo-pooing the idea of an iMac with Blu-ray before the Mac Pro:
Why not release a blu-ray drive on the Mac Pro at the same time as the iMac update too?

MP w/Blu-Ray and iMac w/Blu-Ray @ same-time launch is very slim to nil ..

:apple: likes to 'test-out' new devices on Pro-line before hitting the consumer-based lines e.g. of the cost and most consumers don't need 25GB or 50Gb of back-up space that quickly ..

Some Pros need that space for client projects back n forth contact on a project ..

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
HD video is more appropriate for viewing on a computer than SD video.
SD DVD is 720x480; way too small for modern displays.
Personally, I think Apple is more likely introduce HD entertainment on the iMac first.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
To everyone poo-pooing the idea of an iMac with Blu-ray before the Mac Pro:
Why not release a blu-ray drive on the Mac Pro at the same time as the iMac update too?

Wow, I would have never thought about that one. :rolleyes:

Okay as far back as I can remember the only time that a new technology was in the iMac first was USB, I dont think we will see Blue-Ray in the iMac until it is a BTO option for the Mac Pro, Im not saying that it wont happen at the same time but the Mac Pro should have Blue-Ray first.

adav

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2006
i would love the new 24" to have a hdmi input, doubt it would happen though

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
re graphics though, i was under the impression apple used laptop GPUs in all of the imacs????

The 20" iMacs have the mobility X1600, and so will get the 8600M GT in the next update.
The 24" iMacs have the desktop versions of the 7300 and 7600. The 8600M GT is faster than the Go 7900 (mobile card) but as you can see from benchmarks, the 24" iMac with its 7600 still beats the SR MBP. This is because the desktop cards that the 24" iMac uses are much more powerful than their mobile counterparts.
This is why I think the 24" iMac will get the desktop version of the 8600, either as stock, or possibly the upgrade. If it's the upgrade, that suggests something like an 8400 or 8500 (something slightly better than the 8600M GT) as stock, while the stock 8600 suggests something awesome like a HD2900XT or 8800GTS as upgrade. I'm leaning towards the former though. But, the 8600 is what, like the 4th or 5th fastest DX10 graphics card available, and probably in the top 10 of everything? (Still talking about desktop 8600)

joesenior91

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2007
how about some sort of solid state drive for Time machine? How big a drive would you need for Time Machine, a 16gb Solid State drive wouldn't be too expensive, would that be big enough?

Otherwise i predict no blu-ray, no quad core, white plastic cases, 2 to 4 gb ram and 250 to 750gb hard drives

DrDamn

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2007
i would love the new 24" to have a hdmi input, doubt it would happen though

I don't think it will happen but I too would love to see this. Nice 1080p capable screen to connect up the PS3 to when the main TV is in use.

Red-red

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
I thinkt he next keyboard will just be your standard keyboard but the mouse will be quite a bit different imo.

We saw that patent, the multi touch one. Imagine a mouse that gives you the same buttons as we always have But when you want to:

zoom into a picture you just pull your finger/s back to do it, zoom out, push them forward.

To flick through your albums in cover flow you just flick you finger across the mouse like you would in real life.

You could all think of different ways it would work but IMO it would be a fairly cheap way to bring multitouch technology to the mac, there would be the need for a screen or anything on it and it would work on all the older mac's running leopard not just the new imac. Seems a very "apple" approach to it imo.

mathwhiz90601

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
SoCal... wannabe Canadian
I thinkt he next keyboard will just be your standard keyboard but the mouse will be quite a bit different imo.

We saw that patent, the multi touch one. Imagine a mouse that gives you the same buttons as we always have But when you want to:

zoom into a picture you just pull your finger/s back to do it, zoom out, push them forward.

To flick through your albums in cover flow you just flick you finger across the mouse like you would in real life.

You could all think of different ways it would work but IMO it would be a fairly cheap way to bring multitouch technology to the mac, there would be the need for a screen or anything on it and it would work on all the older mac's running leopard not just the new imac. Seems a very "apple" approach to it imo.

Sounds great, but I bet we'll see those only with Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.