New iMac for College?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by advil0, Jun 8, 2011.

1. advil0 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm going off to college this fall, majoring in video production.

Currently I have a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15" w/ the Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHz.

Do you think I would benefit much from getting a quad core i7 iMac as my main machine and just using the Macbook for on-the-go stuff?

Or another alternative is using this Macbook Pro for all of my video editing and getting a Macbook Air for on-the-go note taking and light projects.

What's your guys' take?

Thanks

2. mackage macrumors 6502

You will be fine with what you have.

3. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I'd keep your current MacBook Pro for video editing and get a MacBook Air for your other needs.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What apps will you be using? If your editing is going to be intensive, then an iMac would be ideal as it has so much more horsepower. You could sell your MBP and get iMac+MBA so then you would have power and portability

5. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Don't forget that your school is likely to have Mac computer labs. Before I make a super big purchase, I would check what they're running in their labs. There's a high chance they'll have workstations that will slam your MBP or iMac in performance any day.

I would stick with the portability of the MBP/MBA.

6. advil0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right now I use Final Cut Pro with Adobe After Effects, it's fast on this Macbook Pro but I have a feeling the lack of 64-bit support in FCP is limiting this laptop.

7. advil0 thread starter macrumors newbie

They do have Mac Labs, I toured the school in December and they have a huge room filled with Mac Pros and iMacs, not sure the specs on any of them but they looked pretty recent.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In that case, I believe you have no reason to upgrade your setup at all. The MBP is powerful enough for editing and you should be able to do most of your intensive editing in a computer lab anyway. The MBP is also portable enough to use for note taking so I don't think you should buy MBA either. Save the money for something better. Partying is pretty expensive actually ;)