Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMac81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Hi everyone - long time reader, first time poster here.

I'm upgrading from my 2007 MbP (stolen last month), to my first 27" iMac when the new one is released, and have a query on the RAM and SSD options. It's primary use will be music production using Logic Studio and related processing heavy external plug-ins.

Based on price and ease, should I simply get the standard 4GB RAM and 1TB HD offering, and upgrade to a higher level of RAM and a SSD after purchase separately? If so, is this easy to do and does it affect the Applecare warranty at all?

Also, would there be any other upgrades or add-ons which would be recommended for this kind of use?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
If you are willing to do the SSD installation on your own, then get the stock model. Installing an SSD does not technically void your warranty unless you damage something. However, it is recommended to take the SSD away if you ever have to send it in for repair.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Hi everyone - long time reader, first time poster here.

I'm upgrading from my 2007 MbP (stolen last month), to my first 27" iMac when the new one is released, and have a query on the RAM and SSD options. It's primary use will be music production using Logic Studio and related processing heavy external plug-ins.

Based on price and ease, should I simply get the standard 4GB RAM and 1TB HD offering, and upgrade to a higher level of RAM and a SSD after purchase separately? If so, is this easy to do and does it affect the Applecare warranty at all?

Also, would there be any other upgrades or add-ons which would be recommended for this kind of use?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.
For the RAM, I say definitely upgrade later. From OWC you could pickup 16GB (4x4GB) 1333MHz RAM for only $200. To upgrade from 4GB (2x2GB) to 16GB from Apple is ~$600. Keep in mind this RAM is for the 2010 model, and the pricing, etc., might be different (and may take some time to show up on OWC if it is different).

They've also how to videos to show how to replace the RAM (this link is for a 2010 model) -- it's pretty easy. I don't expect anything to change with the newer models, but if it does I'm sure they'll have a how to video up for it eventually.

The hard drive is a much trickier procedure which involves removing the screen. Not sure regarding the warranty.
Also from what I know, the SSD's in the current iMacs are pretty terrible for an SSD and aren't worth it in my opinion, especially for the price.

MattMac81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Thanks very much guys for your helpful responses, exactly the advice I was looking for - much appreciated!

scoobydiesel

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
California
I def hope we see some sort of SSD as a norm in the new iMacs(i doubt it tho) or at least lower the price or get better SSDs to begin with.

I for sure will be buying Ram at a later time and putting it in myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.