Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

intelliot

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
Sounds like the machine just hung up on something in Aperture. Honestly, using any intensive programs (pro-apps, parallels/fusion, photoshop) is always going to cause a little trouble.

Happens to me once every few months.. Everything's frozen, music keeps playing. I usually leave it alone for 10 minutes to do its thing, and more often than not it will recover without needing to be unplugged. Your machine is almost certainly not defective.

My iMac is about 1 week old, and it has already frozen 7 times. Perhaps I push it too hard, but my ThinkPad could handle this kind of work with no problem.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
My iMac is about 1 week old, and it has already frozen 7 times. Perhaps I push it too hard, but my ThinkPad could handle this kind of work with no problem.

My imac is about a month old and has frozen up a few times but has done it twice already this morning...grrr my old powerbook has only frozen up on me while running photoshop, final cut pro, safari, itunes, imageready and flash pro:D

this thing locked up on iphoto, itunes and safari

sushiman

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Kumamoto , Japan
It shouldn't be. As it usually never is for Macs. But currently these latest iMacs are buggy, and should not have left Apple in this state.
If I knew then what I know now, I would not have bought mine. And would have either bought a different mac, or waited on Apple fixing the issues with these new iMacs before buying.

My 6 year old Fujitsu died yesterday , and I was planning on saying sayonara to PC and getting an iMac , but now I'm having second thoughts . :confused:

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
My 6 year old Fujitsu died yesterday , and I was planning on saying sayonara to PC and getting an iMac , but now I'm having second thoughts . :confused:

Well have a 3rd thought because for the most part people that have bad experiences post to tell about it and the people that are having no issues generally don't post. The forums get misused so much from people just posting to complain about what's no right.
I, along with many other posters are not having any freezing or crashing issues after the last update. Not to say the people who have complained don't have a legit issue but many things can factor in such as bad ram from Apple, bad 3rd party ram, 3rd party beta apps that don't agree with the operating system or graphics card drivers.
You have to buy and see for yourself.
So keep in mind, generally out of 100 people who have bought the iMac there may be 10 posters that will complain of issues while the others don't bother, why should they if everything is all good.

sushiman

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Kumamoto , Japan
Well have a 3rd thought because for the most part people that have bad experiences post to tell about it and the people that are having no issues generally don't post. The forums get misused so much from people just posting to complain about what's no right.
I, along with many other posters are not having any freezing or crashing issues after the last update. Not to say the people who have complained don't have a legit issue but many things can factor in such as bad ram from Apple, bad 3rd party ram, 3rd party beta apps that don't agree with the operating system or graphics card drivers.
You have to buy and see for yourself.
So keep in mind, generally out of 100 people who have bought the iMac there may be 10 posters that will complain of issues while the others don't bother, why should they if everything is all good.

Believe me , I want to buy a Mac and say sayonara to PC . However , after reading about the freeze ups on this thread and elsewhere , and the potential for glitches in Leopard when it first comes out , I'm worried that I might step right into problemos with Mac at the outset and that would ruin the whole switchover experience for me . I wish I could wait until the end of the year , but as I said earlier my PC died a violent death yesterday .

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Believe me , I want to buy a Mac and say sayonara to PC . However , after reading about the freeze ups on this thread and elsewhere , and the potential for glitches in Leopard when it first comes out , I'm worried that I might step right into problemos with Mac at the outset and that would ruin the whole switchover experience for me . I wish I could wait until the end of the year , but as I said earlier my PC died a violent death yesterday .

Firstly, Leopard has not been released so anything said about it negatively is all speculation. You shouldn't make purchase decisions based on speculation, that's illogical.
Secondly, I just mentioned to you that my iMac is fine and other forum members have posted in response to other negative posters about the freezing that theirs was fine as well. Usually most things like this are driver or software issues and generally not hardware. Most people with the freezing issues acquired them after the most recent software update from Apple and that was for the graphics card so now you know it's just software issue and Apple will take care of it soon.

Third and last, Windows Vista's never ending issues haven't stopped any of the die hards from buying new PC's so you either have to get over it and just buy and see for yourself or cheat yourself out of pleasure because of what you have read on the internet but never experienced it for yourself.

nickf

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
I think the freezing issue is graphics driver-related.

My 2.4/20" Al iMac arrived at the weekend, and I duly installed the relevant Apple sw updates.

WoW froze up on me twice within 10 minutes of playing last night. Symptoms are as described by others - the sound continued, and the mouse was responsive but the machine was otherwise locked-up solid. Immediately before the first crash a lot of texture errors appeared on screen (spell effects replaced by white squares). Ironically, my previous machine (a 7 year old G4) would happily work for months without requiring a restart.

Lets hope that ATI/AMD and Apple are working on fixing this.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
i wouldnt let something like this stop you from purchasing.. Just cause you see people on here posting it up doesnt mean it will happen to you. It is also just a video driver fix like has been said before.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
i wouldnt let something like this stop you from purchasing.. Just cause you see people on here posting it up doesnt mean it will happen to you. It is also just a video driver fix like has been said before.

Yep, just like CRIIM44 said, there are TONS of happy people on here like me, that haven't had a single problem, mine is almost a month old, no freezing what so ever.

Just remember, most people come to forms when they have problems, rarely do people don't have problems come to a forum like this.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Yep, just like CRIIM44 said, there are TONS of happy people on here like me, that haven't had a single problem, mine is almost a month old, no freezing what so ever.

Just remember, most people come to forms when they have problems, rarely do people don't have problems come to a forum like this.

basically what i was saying in a nutshell

Even though i had a freezing problem it seemed to work itself out and i am happy.

intelliot

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006

It only happens when I'm pushing the iMac to actually getting some work done. For example, one time I was trying to drag a 23-minute song from iTunes into iMovie '08. Apparently that kind of stress is too much for it to handle. But if you're just playing with 3-minute songs, it'll probably be fine-- and I can imagine less-demanding users having a fine time with this computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.