New iMac G3, Who Dis?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Adamscomputerrepair, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Adamscomputerrepair macrumors 6502

Adamscomputerrepair

So recently I purchased an indigo imac G3 400 MHZ for $10 at a yard sale. Mainly because the person selling it had no idea what they were selling (read: sign that said "children's tv. $10 obo").

I bought the bag of computer stuff for another dollar which included the original keyboard, a blueberry hockey puck mouse, and various misc e-waste that I honestly wasn't interested in.

I immediately rushed home and loaded the OS 9 Lives universal 9.2.2 disc to make sure everything worked. Lo and behold, dead hard drive. No problem. I upgraded to a 120 gig IDE.

Fast forward to today. I have a 20 gig partition devoted to os 9 and 100 gigs devoted to os 10.3.9 (mainly because it's loads faster.) Anyway, I blew the speakers today. Not sure how, but any sound coming out sounds like pure electricity. So....any favorites when it comes to external iMac G3 speakers?

Also, tell me some of your must have apps for either os 9 or os 10.3.9. I have already looked at the panther guide and the G3 guide. I'm just looking for personal favs.

2. z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

I wonder if it would be possible to retrofit the G3's speaker chambers with the G4's Pro Speakers with a little wiring handiwork...

;)

3. Adamscomputerrepair thread starter macrumors 6502

Adamscomputerrepair

I have a pair of G4 pro speakers. They're huge compared to the G3. I have always wanted to do a powered box so they can be used with 3.5mm but I'm terrified of breaking them.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

This isn't uncommon with slot loaders, although they usually give some warning(in terms of rattling and buzzing).

I often use the first gen USB H-K Soundsticks with Cubes, but have also used them with iMacs. They look right at home-especially considering that Apple sold the subwoofer by itself as an iMac G3 accessory as the "iSub."

5. bobesch macrumors 65816

bobesch

Oh, sorry about blowing the speakers - same happend to me with a 2.x version of VLC when opening the Equalizer.
    About my favorite os9-apps (most of them you'll get at macintoshgarden) to make os9 a productivity-machine...
    - Classilla (web/IMAP-email) - my first application to install to get access to macintoshgarden ...
    - StuffIt5 / Toast5 (since a lot of garden-stuff comes compressed)
    - MS Office '98 or '01
    - AppleWorks6
    - Acrobat5 / PDF-Printer4
    - PS Elements 2
    - Transmit1.7 (FTP-Client) NB: AFP only connects to Leopard and below, but as a workaround, connections to post-Leopard-intelMacs can be made through Leopard-Server as a VirtualMachine with in VMwareFusion
    - Goliat1.x (webDAV for Cloud-based file sharing with any other device!)
    - VNCthing (Screensharing even to the latest OSX/macOS)
    - VirtualPC/Win98 or Win2k
    - there's a app for network-connection to NTFS-devices, can't remember the name ...
    For the hell of it I temporarily had one iMacG3 running in my Office as a Fat-Client, to run server-sessions via VNCthing ... good fun and a lot of talk about it!

6. z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

Yes, but what if you were to separate the white speaker boxes from the translucent orbs housing them (thus making them drastically smaller), and then cut the wires before they adjoin, and then connect the correspondent stripped wires to the relevant wire outputs inside the G3.

Technically theoretical, but perhaps possible in practice.

I would give it a shot. That would be one hell of a solution, that's for sure.

7. bobesch macrumors 65816

bobesch

Soundsticks are cool but the satellites tend to break apart cause of the aging brittle glue ...
    Old Sony-iPhone-Docking-Stations (those ones with the old connector) sell currently at 20 bucks and can be connected through the AUX-port/3.5 Klinke Audio-Out (I've built a kind of low-budged SONOS with old Airport-Express and old 2nd-hand Sony-docks.) You 'll certainly won't blow them - more likely your eardrum... ;)

8. AL1630 macrumors 6502

AL1630

Yeah, with the Soundsticks, the Subwoofer is indestructible, the satellites, not so much. Although that old glue worked in my favor when I had to pull one apart to remove a spider that died inside!

9. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

Per resident PPC guru @Intell if this solution worked(something of which he's skeptical) it would give terrible sound quality. The G4 speakers are of a totally different design from the iMac G3 speakers.

10. Adamscomputerrepair thread starter macrumors 6502

Adamscomputerrepair

Yeah if anything I'm going one of 2 routes with those speakers:

1. Following the guide that makes them USB speakers or...

2. Buying an iMac G4

11. z970mp, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018

z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp

Are they?

Well, damn. Scratch that.

You'd think they'd be of a similar design because they're both made by H/K, hail from similar timeframes, and are of similar size...

12. Adamscomputerrepair thread starter macrumors 6502

Adamscomputerrepair

Was carbon copy cloner ever available for 10.3.9? I like panther so much I want a partition on my powerbook. But I need 10.3.9 so I would rather just clone the partition I already have on the G3.

13. AL1630 macrumors 6502

AL1630

I couldn't find anything about CCC, but you can still download older versions of SuperDuper here, or you could probably use Firewire Target Disk Mode.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Carbon Copy Cloner did exist in the 10.3.9 days. Not sure if I have it archived or not.

15. AL1630 macrumors 6502

AL1630

I just did a little more research and it looks like one of the versions that works with Panther (Maybe not the latest) is Version 2.3, but I'm not sure when panther support was dropped.

16. Expobill Suspended

Expobill

Congrats, You sooooooooo need one of there mousepads:
    upload_2018-6-21_20-6-30.jpeg

17. Adamscomputerrepair thread starter macrumors 6502

Adamscomputerrepair

I think I'll just use the other application. Thanks though.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2018 ---

Yes I do. I'm gonna look for one on eBay.

18. Slix macrumors 65816

Slix

CCC was available on Panther, I have a copy of it somewhere (or at least one that works on Panther, but not on Tiger), as well as ones that work on Tiger and Leopard. If you want it, I'll see if I can dig it up tomorrow.

19. Expobill Suspended

Expobill

I give you mine, I gave away my imac bondi in 201