New iMac G5 now or in Jan?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seattlemaclover, Nov 21, 2005.

  1. seattlemaclover macrumors member

    Feb 26, 2004
    Seattle Washington USA
    Okay, so i am trying to decide if I should with unnitll january to get a new imac and see if they come out with the intel processors, or get one now. is it worth it to go intel? I would like to hear some opinions on this.
  2. risc macrumors 68030


    Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Personally I'd stick with PPC until Rev B of the Mactels at least, sure you may be able to buy a Mactel in January but what 3rd party software are you going to run on it? Last time I checked ALL commercial software was PPC, but someone has to iron out the bugs for people like me so if you feel like doing that sure wait until the Rev A Mactels.
  3. Danksi macrumors 68000


    Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    Unless you need a machine now ... it may be worth waiting until January, just to see what happens.

    If they DO release some Intel machines, then that's rumoured to trigger a price-drop for the some of the existing PPC machines. In theory there could be some good bargains for known reliable PPC machines.
  4. pknz macrumors 68020


    Mar 22, 2005
    My advice, unless you need it right now is to wait. Even if they bring an Intel iMac out, you may still find it is better to go with a Rev C PPC iMac as generally all Rev A's have some flaws.
  5. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

    Will Cheyney

    Jul 13, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I'd go for getting a Mac now. Even if Intel Macs to make an appearance in January, not much of the software will be native (everything will be emulated by 'Rosetta', so if anything, your Mac will actually appear to run slower... if you get what I mean.

Share This Page