New iMac got 3 partitions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by byron321, Jun 28, 2011.

1. byron321 macrumors newbie

byron321

2. rottnjohn macrumors newbie

rottnjohn

That is odd. What does it DiskUtility look like? Is it new or used? If you only have 1 disk and it has three partitions, you should consider reloading from scratch.

3. byron321 thread starter macrumors newbie

byron321

4. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i can only have a wild guess and you got one of the rare iMac's that got checked by quality control in the apple factory in china , and they just forgot to reinstll the OS again and wipe the disc

5. byron321 thread starter macrumors newbie

byron321

I think that's a good guess. I took a look in the MaxDisk partition and I found a tool called Indy that seems like a diagnostics tool for apple's internal use. There was a ReadMe file in the Indy folder that contains very detailed steps about testing the computer. From the filename of the video (cli_test.mp4) I found, I believe that video is used for testing.

6. hhaydenn macrumors regular

Upload the video to YouTube then link us!

7. byron321 thread starter macrumors newbie

byron321

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Image the partitions to an external HDD, then resize the main OS X partition to be the entire HDD.

9. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

It sounds like the OP was sent a refurbished computer. Apple has had so many returns, they cant just sell them at a loss or destroy them. Rather it seems, they sell them to unsupecting new buyers.

I would return this computer ASAP and order another one.

I just wouldnt be comfortable with a new computer that has existing data on it. Too fishy to me.

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

You are speculating. I think the partitions are from quality-control testing (hence the test-related filenames), and the chinese workers just forgot to remove the partitions. But then again, I am speculating :eek:.

11. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

That is RARE :D

Hope I just can find new iMac with Lion, Windows7 and Ubuntu factory preinstalled .. and with so many games installed on Windows side, right from Apple Store :D

You may ask phone support about it, if I were you, I'd just reformat the HDD and install OSX as it should've

12. lavino macrumors member

Reminded me of that *NEW* HDD I got from a local computer store.... I saw inventory and client / sales details in it. I took it back and watched their faces when I told them I formatted it... XD

13. byron321 thread starter macrumors newbie

byron321

I called the apple support again a few hours ago and they told me that those partitions are from QC and they somehow forgot to remove them (weird). They helped me to format the HD and reinstalled the OS.