New iMac GPU: Improvement over last gen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WickedSick, Oct 21, 2009.

1. WickedSick macrumors member

I cant remember what the highest end card option was for the core 2 duo 3.06, but is the 4850 really a big improvement over the old iMacs? It wont change my opinion of the new machines ( I think they're fantastic) but I'd love to really know what the new big difference is graphics wise.

2. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

It's the same card.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Depends on what card do you have. It's better than 8800GS (was it that?) or GT130 but it's not worth selling your current and getting new one

4. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

I was a bit disappointed when I saw that the top end 27" iMac had the ATI Radeon HD 4850 GPU. It's a fine card but surely getting a little long in the tooth for such a stunning large display - I read that Apple didn't really have an alternative though. I probably have un-realistic expectations;)

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They did have other options too. 27" iMac could easily handle GTX 260M or maybe even 280M! Those are a lot better cards than 4850 but at least it works well now

6. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Guess the drivers for the 4850 were considered more reliable and a know quantity - maybe we'll see a more current GPU in the next revision?

7. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

yeah but there was probably a cost issue and apple probably wants to get rid of nvidia this time...

8. wesleyh macrumors 6502

There is a generic graphics card in the imac which could be switched out I presume. (from the ifixit teardown)

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yup, no more crashes. Of course we'll see new GPUs with next iMacs but it may take some time... Maybe ATI Mobile 5000 series

Change it to what? GT130? :p Firmware limits the possible GPUs quite a lot so...

10. willcodejavafor macrumors regular

I predict a new update in March 2010 with a better GPU for the top end model :)

11. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

March - April 2010 -Better GPU and you never know that Blu-ray option might even rear it's head:D

Now I must stop speculating on the next update - this one's only been out for 48 hours.

12. willcodejavafor macrumors regular

NOOO I dont want to pay big bucks for BR :)

13. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

If they ever offer it I suspect it will initially be a BTO option.

14. wesleyh macrumors 6502

Well, we can change it when the next imac comes out.. So put in the updated graphics and perhaps a blue ray drive by then as well, allowing our system to remain on par with the then newest imac..