new imac graphic card differences

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stacyc, May 1, 2008.

1. stacyc macrumors newbie

I am trying to decide between the new 2.4 GHz and the 2.6 GHz imacs. There is about $275 difference between them and a few differences. The difference I know nothing about is graphics cards. I would like to know how big a difference between an ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB GDDR3 memory and an ATI Radeon HD 2600 HD with 256MB GDDR3 memory.

I do not game, I will only use for personal photo editing and home videos. Is it worth the price premium for me? Thank you for your help.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Go with the bargain if your not gamer or video hound, the 2400xt will be fine for photo editing as is integrated graphics. Dont game thats to bad, just got done with ETQW.:cool: someone like me needs the 2600pro or better.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The cheaper iMac will serve your needs just fine.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The slightly larger drive is something of benefit, and with 2GB of memory -- there likely won't be a need to upgrade.

Nice to have more, but since the Leopard 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 upgrades it runs fine on 2GB.

The 2600 is fine for most WoW playing if you wish to do that.

---

if you don't mind a USB drive, spending the $275 on that + 4GB 3rd party memory or Apple Care isn't a bad deal also.

5. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Im gonna threadjack if I can a bit...

Whats the difference between the radeon 2600 and the nvidia 8800gs...

Im not trying to play crisis or some of the other more recent games,...more real time strategy, like civ 4, settlers, black and white...and many others of the same genre...

Is it worth the xtra for the 8800gs or would the last gen with the radeon card be a better fit?

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you are getting the 24", I would spring for the extra card if games are important to you. The 8800GS is about twice as fast as the 2600 in the iMac.

7. stacyc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help...It doesn't sound like the graphics upgrade will make that much difference for my needs. Thanks Guys!