new imac graphics crash that creates jumble colors on screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aronce, Oct 29, 2008.

1. aronce macrumors newbie

Hi

I am having a problem with a new (6 months) iMac.

Spec. iMac 7,1 24" display, ATI Radeon HD2600. OSX 10.5 fully updated

It periodically 'crashes' where a random pattern of colors covers the display or active window, see attached picture. The computer is still responsive at this point and I can usually navigate to restart the computer which 'solves' the problem. Any help diagnosing the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Aron

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's either the video driver or there's something wrong with the video hardware itself. I'd give Apple a call.

3. bw photo macrumors newbie

bw photo

graphics crash that creates jumble colors on screen

I am having the same problem on my iMac (Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz, early 2006). I have the RadonX1600 Graphics processor. Ether the hole screen or only part of the screen will get jumbled.

[​IMG]

In the screen shot you will see what is suppose to be iWork's Pages application. You can see the fonts and colors buttons skewed across the screen. I talked to a mac Genius at the Apple store, he said it was the graphics processor and that he would replace the entire logic board for free, I love :apple:, they stand behind there products! The only problem is that the problem still occurs when using particular programs such as "AppCleaner" (http://www.freemacsoft.net/). I'm not sure what to do, apple suggested they replace the ribbon cable between the GPU and the display but I really doubt that is the problem. So, any suggestions:confused:?

4. bw photo macrumors newbie

bw photo

solution, for me at least

I have decided that the app "AppCleaner" is causing the problem. As long as I don't leave that program open for a long time, I haven't had a problem scene.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'd take a guess that it's a driver/software issue and not necessarily caused by a hardware problem simply by virtue of the fact that you can take a screenshot of it.

6. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I have something a little similar with my 15" 2.2ghz MacBook pro. I posted about it here:
    Reload this Page MacBook Pro shutting off after logic board replacement

Here's the info again:

I recently had an issue where my MacBook pro wouldn't start up - it just kept chiming. I sent it into Applecare and they replaced the logic board. I received it last Wednesday from Apple.

But now, increasingly often, when I turn the computer on from sleep, the computer seems to be in a crashed state. I can move the mouse around but nothing is reacting when I click. And there is always some sort of blocky pixelation across the screen. I can shake the computer a bit and then have it go dark on me and then come back. I've attached pictures of what I'm talking about here

Attached Files: