New iMac graphics questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jon Boi, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Jon Boi macrumors newbie

Hi all! Just received my band new 24" imac and what a beauty. New to the whole mac scene, and it's pretty cool! I got a couple of games with my mac and I have some problems.

The game I'm having problems with is Rise of Nations Gold Edition (purchased thru Apple, BTW) and I meet all the system requirements, but...I can't get it to run properly. The game has these huge chunks of diagonal boxes, and little squares all over the place.
    Things I've done: 1) Played around with the different resolution settings, even tried modifing a game.ini file that opened up more resolution settings, but so far SOL
    2) I've tried looking for updated graphics drivers for my ATI 2600 HD PRO card, but ati only has a driver for PC not mac.

Please help and remember I'm still pretty new on the mac so keep it simple for me.

BTW, I've taken some screen capture images and sent them to the game's tech support line but have not heard back yet. Can I post them in here or is that a no-no?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

First Apple updates its hardware by Software Update so you won't find the drivers on ATI's website.

Make sure you have all patches for the game installed.

3. oduinnin macrumors regular

I've read that there are updates for the new iMacs. To get them, open "System Preferences" (should be on your dock), click on "Software Update", download updates offered. Reboot and try your game again.

Also, you may want to go to the Apple Support web site (just click on the "@" in the dock located next to the "Trash" icon), then click on "Support" at the top of the page, then, on the left side under "Browse Support", click on "Computer + Server", from that page, click on "iMac (Intel based)". This should get you to a page with lots of information, updates, articles, discussions, etc.

Good Luck with your game. :)

4. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Yes post the pics please. This sounds like artifacts more than a driver problem. But then again, maybe theres artifacts because of bad drivers :)

Apple should be releasing new drivers for the new imac cards soon if there arent any already.

5. Jon Boi thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay...I'm all updated and even put a newer patch for the game. Still no good.
    Is it common for software released on both mac and pc platforms have differing (current) versions. On a pc patch notice it says after this patch you should have version xxx, while the mac patches have a completely different version id.
    Any other ideas?

6. Jon Boi thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's a picture of what's going on. I'll see if this works...

Attached Files:

7. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Hmm, is your gfx card modified in any way? Maybe an overclock? Other than that i'm not sure. I have rise of nations as well but i use it on Windows bootcamp and i have no problems. I would just say wait for drivers. It shouldn't be that long. Do any other games (if you have any) do this?

8. armani macrumors regular

Is this game demo available for PC? If it is, I would try it under boot camp and see if it works. I noticed on some games, I tried both versions, Mac and PC, that the pc version is better made, I noticed it on COD 2 for example.

9. Jon Boi thread starter macrumors newbie

This version of the game is the mac version purchased with my imac through apple.ca I have not modified any of the graphics card settings (I wouldn't know how to anyways), but I tinkered with just trying the different resolutions. The stock res is set to max 1900 x whatever. The other game I got (The movies) runs perfectly fine even zoomed up close.

I just sent the tech support guys at macsoftgames an spx file with my current config. Getting frustrated that my new machine is not running this:(

10. Jon Boi thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's the response from macsoftgames:

"Hello,

Rise of Nations was originally designed to run on PPC based Macs, since it's release there has been a huge change in the type of hardware that Macs now come with (the biggest of which is the switch from PPC to Intel processors). We've had several other customers report similar issues with the new iMacs, and we believe that the issue lies in the Radeon HD2600 graphics cards. We are aware of these issues and are investigating solutions.

Currently we do not have any work arounds or fixes for this problem. "

so what now...:eek:

11. jimsoff macrumors member

You'll have to wait for them to come out with a patch or something.

12. andersonalden macrumors newbie

Any Resolution

I just got this game and am having the same problems with the graphics. Does anybody know if this has been resolved yet?

13. Zygon Gambit macrumors regular

I just got an iMac with this graphics card, and I have the same issue. I guess there never will be a solution...

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

There isn't a solution, running a PPC app through rosetta on an Intel Machine will run like crap.