New iMac gtx 780 (no m)

Tjosansa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Is there any graficcard out there yet? The GTX 780.
I would love to buy an iMac with that one. And if the card is out i expect an iMac with it soon enough.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
You're not going to find a desktop GPU in an iMac anytime soon. The design of the iMac won't allow it as it won't be able to keep it cool enough.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I would love to buy an iMac with that one. And if the card is out i expect an iMac with it soon enough.
The iMac has a 780M. There is no way the iMAc would get a desktop GTX 780 in it - there is no room and no way to cool it.

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
Unfortunately since it is an "all in one" they have chosen to use all mobile graphics cards (I believe Dell copied that too in addition to the iMac's design).

If Apple came out with something in between iMac and Mac Pro that had regular GPUs, my other gamer friends would stop making fun of me and probably buy that Mac.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
The GTX 780 has been available since the beginning of the summer. Wouldn't hurt you to do some research ;) And no, you are not getting it in an iMac, ever.

----------

If Apple came out with something in between iMac and Mac Pro that had regular GPUs, my other gamer friends would stop making fun of me and probably buy that Mac.
The iMac has still a faster GPU than 90% (possibly more) of all the 'gaming' computers our there - just look at the Steam hardware survey.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
it would be nice to get a desktop card in the iMac,

However it definitely won't fit with the design. Soooo I'm happy as is

Tjosansa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Ahh. I see i made an error in my question.. Sorry about that.
I was thinking of gtx 780mx. Any chance it will come out soon?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.