New iMac Hard drive failure already.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iHero, Dec 12, 2009.

1. iHero macrumors member

I browse this forum, but only posted when I was over the moon with my new 21.5 iMac with the higher specs...

A quick update......

2 days ago my mac locked up for no reason so i had no choice but to turn it off. Upon start up I got the question mark folder icon and being the mac newbie I am, I didn't wanna mess with it so i took it back to where i bought it (Solutions inc). I am told its probably a hard drive failure, and while they're at it they will have a look at my dead pixels. Should have mentioned the ever slight yellow tinge on start up but forgot.

So I am pretty pissed right now, being 18 its one of the most expensive things I've bought and I had alot of expections for it to 'just work'.

Nice....now I have no computer for the final week of my uni application.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Dude, that sucks.. Hope you get a working machine fast.

3. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

hard drives have a tendency to either fail very quick a year or less. If they dont fail in the first year they last a long time.

4. iHero thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. Don't get it back till next Wednesday at the soonest. I know my old Packard bell lasted 5+ years.......

5. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

sorry about your bad luck. all hard drives fail. some earlier than others. Thank the good lord in heaven that we all have Time Machine. I thought I'd need it for when I accidently deleted a file or something. But, when my 3 year old 17" white imac's hard drive died, I had Best Buy pop a new hard drive into it. Hooked up my Time Machine back up and was fully back and functioning again in a couple of hours. Greatest thing about a mac to me at this point.

6. Warbitrary macrumors regular

Exactly. You should be happy it failed "already" and not at a later date, out of warranty.

7. iHero thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I'm over the moon about it failing just because its under warranty. That's like being glad you had a car crash because you have insurance.

I get your point though, better to fail now rather than later.

Just to add, my hard drive never made odd noises or was very loud.

8. archipellago macrumors 65816

funny out of the 20 plus computers I've owned plus numerous external HDD's the only ones (3) to fail have been in Macs.

co-incidence?
    cheap parts?
    perils of design?

who knows...