New iMac - HEAT, FANS, NOISE . . overall improvement ???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mipo, Oct 13, 2015.

1. mipo macrumors newbie

mipo

Hi there.
    I have been here year ago with i7 fully loaded iMac with this configuration and few very annoying issues.
    • 4.0GHz QC i7 Turboboost 4.4GHz
    • 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
    • 3TB Fusion Dr (3TB+128GBFlash)
    • AMD Radeon R9 M295X
    I have returned this one for fans going up in the menu screen in Diablo, noise issues with those fans running full speed and as well because of the very uneven illumination of the screen.

I was waiting and waiting so long for this update, that I am about to pull the trigger for the new system fully loaded without waiting. Having the 14 days return policy obviously does make the decision easy, but disappointments can be health threat, so I rather ask . . what do you think...are we going to see some improvements in the - fan noise, screen area? What I read so far, not much has been done in the graphic card department and heat can be an issue.

Thank you for all inputs & opinions.

Cheers,
    Mike

2. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

Please don't disappear and report back here with your findings. I am very interested if the new model has the same issues.

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

From the tests of Skylake, it seems that in the real world, it ran a little bit cooler maybe. Not sure how this will translate to macs.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...ake-S-i7-4790K-vs-i7-6700K-641/#ThermalOutput

Even though the i7 6700K is rated to use more power than the i7 4790K, we saw anywhere from a three to seven degree drop in temperature depending on the benchmark we ran. Honestly, this is exactly the opposite of what we expected. There has been some changes to how power is supplied to the CPU which may be what is causing the lower temperature (such as the majority of the voltage regulation being moved from the CPU onto the motherboard) but no matter the reason this is a great surprise.

Due to the lower temperature, we also saw a small - but measurable - drop in the CPU fan speed when using QFan. It was only a drop of 50-100 RPM, but if you want a silent system like our Serenity or Serenity Pro that small drop in fan speed is actually fairly significant.