New iMac - Hotmail Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by greg.richard, Aug 13, 2008.

1. greg.richard macrumors newbie

I just bought my new 2.8 Ghz 24" iMac Thusday, and I absolutely love it! I have been trying to log onto my hotmail (over the internet), but I can never check my email! Does macs not allow access to www.hotmail.com or is it just a issue that can be resolved?

I also want to use the Mail Application, but I don't have any other emails but my hotmail one. I still want to keep my hotmail account, but use Mac Mail.. is there anyway to do so?

Thanks!

2. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

not at the moment through mail application, you can setup a gmail account and forward all mail from hotmail to that then set it up in mail application

3. greg.richard thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you happen to know how to forward all my emails to a gmail account? And I can't even access my emails on my mac.. hotmail just won't load.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are some applications that work with Mail and Hotmail, but the results are inconsistent among users. The concensus is... no real solution.

Accessing Hotmail from a browser is also inconsistent when using Safari. Some have better luck than others, but it will not load Live Mail. The choice for Hotmail / Live Mail is to use Firefox for access.

Hotmail should have forwarding capabilities in its settings (I can't access from work). You would set up a Gmail account, and go to the Hotmail account and modify the user settings to foward all mail to the Gmail account.

Gmail can be set up with Mail and works very well.

Hope that helps

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

5. greg.richard thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds good! I'll give that a try and reply if I get it working!

If I have any trouble can I just contact you??

6. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

7. greg.richard thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I found where you can forward your emails, but when I entered my gmail email, it said "You're only able to forward mail to a custom domain or an e-mail address that ends in hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com. Please try again."

Any other suggestions?

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

hotmail really sucks. but yea, i guess ur stuck since this cant be modified from your end, only Microsoft's end.

9. greg.richard thread starter macrumors newbie

that really sucks!

does anybody know free email clients where you can add msn emails on a messenger?

10. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

The best solution is to just stop using your Hotmail account. Create a GMail account. Find out what all uses your Hotmail one and change the email address to the Gmail one.

Not the quickest or easiest, but in the long run it's the best option. Hotmail really isn't worth the hassle at all.

11. greg.richard thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright! If that's all I can do, I guess I'll have to do it! I was going to call my ISP, and get an email address, but I'll just go with gMail. I still want to use an instant messaging program to talk to me friends (who all have hotmail accounts).. is there anyway to still do that?

12. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

I have this problem as well. Ive learned to cope, but Ive also learned a work around.

Just click on safari in the menu bar, and then reset safari, and then clear the cache. once you do that the next time you load up hotmail it should give you the login screen. Then everytime your done with hotmail, LOG OUT!. Ive noticed if you dont log out, it will do the same thing, and you will have to go back through the above steps and do it all over.

Or you could simply download firefox, and open it to check hotmail.

13. Rocio macrumors newbie

Rocio

I have this same problem too since my main email account its hotmail too.

I had bought Mac Office 2008 which comes with entourage which is like outlook and I just get all my emails forwarded there which works really well.

PcBgone - your tip is really good thanks.

14. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

GMail addresses work with MSN Messenger AFAIK.

I wouldn't use your ISP email address - stick with a generic one. Reason being is if you changed ISP, you'd have to change your email address all over again.

Then you can set up Mail for use with GMail and you can leave the Hotmail boat forever :p

15. munkoo macrumors newbie

Same happened to me.
    Does the Gmail email address then forward defo not work?

Might just transfer to gmail altogether:(

16. andrelee macrumors newbie

To get your hotmail on Mail...

I use httpMail. It has worked well so far.

17. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Doesn't work anymore.

Microsoft changed the protocol which broke HttpMail.

18. andrelee macrumors newbie

19. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I Read:

As of June 30th 2008, my plugin will cease to function as Microsoft has decided to terminate HTTPMail (also known as WebDav) protocol access. They have replaced this protocol has been replaced by a new one called DeltaSync. Unfortunately DeltaSync is undocumented and uses non-standard compression and encryption of message data. Until these issues can be resolved there is nothing I can do to fix my plugin.

If you have a Hotmail Plus account you should still be able to access your mail using the POP3 protocol. The details for setting up POP3 access is as follows.

Unless he's updated it to overcome those issues..

20. andrelee macrumors newbie

The link provided still works...

...as does the program. If not, c'est la...

21. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

httpmail is working fine for me. but i am having the problem with hotmail.com
    ...somethings up with microsoft's servers.

22. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

If you use your hotmail for msn messenger you can setup your gmail so that you can use msn with it btw, just create a net passport with the gmail account. then add all of uyour hotmail contacts

23. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Hotmail won't work because it's free and they rely on adds to support their mail service. I think Yahoo has the same issue and gmail a far as I know works great. Gmail also is a lot better, you can send more than 10 meg files, and friend of mine who does servers for google, yahoo and others even said google has the best security.