New iMac - how much RAM to chose?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by philipz, Jul 28, 2007.

1. philipz macrumors newbie

I am about to order a new iMac (hopefully on August 7 :)
    There's the choice between 1 - 2 -3 GB of memory.

I consider myself an average user; iLife suite (mostly iPhoto with +10K of pictures), emailing and browsing, some Photoshop and webdesign. No games.

I know the more RAM you have, the better, but 3 GB is costing a fortune... Would 2 GB be enough for what I do, or is it worth to save some more bucks and get the extra Gig?

Thx for the tips!

PS should I consider a 256MB videocard (opposed to 128) for my needs? Any recommendations about Applecare? Also not very cheap...

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

2GB of RAM is Teh Snappy™.

I'd go for the better video card and my uses are similar to yours.

3. Shrek6446 macrumors member

If you are good at installing ram yourself (very easy on an Imac) you can buy 2GB of ram at newegg for 89.99. It will save you at least $150 then buying directly from Apple. As far as the video card goes, I would get the 128MB, Photoshop and Webdesign and Ilife use more resources from the CPU and the Ram then the Video Card. If you think you might get into heavier video editing or gaming in the future then you would want to get the 256MB version.

If you are a student you can get a great student discount on applecare, I believe it will drop the price by 30-40%. I love Applecare the mac "geniuses" really know what they are talking about and are more then happy to help you

4. superlatic macrumors regular

when the new models come out, chances are that 2GB will come as the stock option, at least on the 24" model. Same RE the video ram, again chances are on the 24" model 256mb will be the stock option.

I personally rec that you would get away with 128mb of vram, but re the main RAM, the more the better.

Also, apple charges rip off prices for memory Eg they charge nearly £500 for the 4GB upgrade on the macbook pro, hence chances are it will be round about the same for the imac. 4GB can be bought from crucial for £145, so if you feel comfortable doing so, fit your own memory