new imac i5 quad core 2010 recieved, some questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by henrikrox, Aug 6, 2010.

1. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

So i recently got my i5 quad core

There is a slight crackling from the HDD, its nothing big
    There is a slight buzz when changing brightness, also dosnt bother me, no grey banding or yellow tint

Also

Why is the i5 quad core so cool? after 2 hours of sc2 its temp reach a max of 68 degrees, and the fans were dead quite in windows, dont understand it :p

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It could be that the CPU isn't running at its max because the GPU is bigger bottleneck. Also, I'm not sure is SC2 multicore but I think it is. However, you shouldn't worry about it being too cool :p

3. henrikrox thread starter macrumors 65816

henrikrox

still, i just think its weird, now its idling at 39 degrees celsius says istat menus, i have had several intel cpus, and they tend to be hot.

But ofcourse i dont complain :)

4. bas-macfan macrumors member

Hi,

I bought an iMac just before the refresh and I also have an noise coming from my HDD.
    To me it sounds like a hungry stomach. When nothing happens it not there but during startup or starting up a program I can hear it.

What kind of HDD do you have? I have a Seagate 1TB.

Cheers.

5. jqc macrumors regular

Im coming from a 2009 macbook pro and 2007 macbook pro, and always found the CPU to run from 50-70 deg celcius. on my 27" i5, cpu seems to stay below 50 but gpu diode gets to around 65-75 play starcarft and the top of the imac gets very hot (I know, its acting as a huge heatsink)

are you getting the same?