new imac i5 quad core 2010 recieved, some questions

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
So i recently got my i5 quad core

There is a slight crackling from the HDD, its nothing big
There is a slight buzz when changing brightness, also dosnt bother me, no grey banding or yellow tint

Also

Why is the i5 quad core so cool? after 2 hours of sc2 its temp reach a max of 68 degrees, and the fans were dead quite in windows, dont understand it :p

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It could be that the CPU isn't running at its max because the GPU is bigger bottleneck. Also, I'm not sure is SC2 multicore but I think it is. However, you shouldn't worry about it being too cool :p

Comment

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
still, i just think its weird, now its idling at 39 degrees celsius says istat menus, i have had several intel cpus, and they tend to be hot.

But ofcourse i dont complain :)

Comment

bas-macfan

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
Hi,

I bought an iMac just before the refresh and I also have an noise coming from my HDD.
To me it sounds like a hungry stomach. When nothing happens it not there but during startup or starting up a program I can hear it.

What kind of HDD do you have? I have a Seagate 1TB.

Cheers.

Comment

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
still, i just think its weird, now its idling at 39 degrees celsius says istat menus, i have had several intel cpus, and they tend to be hot.

But ofcourse i dont complain :)
Im coming from a 2009 macbook pro and 2007 macbook pro, and always found the CPU to run from 50-70 deg celcius. on my 27" i5, cpu seems to stay below 50 but gpu diode gets to around 65-75 play starcarft and the top of the imac gets very hot (I know, its acting as a huge heatsink)

are you getting the same?

Comment