New Imac i7 - Slow to copy files from DVD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kubrick70, May 16, 2011.

1. kubrick70 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I just got me a shiny new iMac i7 BTO last week. When I was installing FCP the files were super slow to copy from the DVDs. I aborted adding the extra content because it would have taken 6 or 7 hours to copy everything. Now I'm copying some tutorial files from a DVD which are only 8 GB and its going to about an hour. Is this normal? Burning a DVD seemed fine and was fairly fast. I'm just wondering if I have a poopy superdrive?

Thanx.

2. tsugaru macrumors 6502

Riplock. ie your vendor trying to tout your drive is quiet at the expense of performance.

Riplock keeps your drive slow to minimize noise. Good if you're watching a DVD on your computer, but not so much if you're copying/installing stuff all the time.

Short of flashing the firmware on your Superdrive, you may want to invest in an external DVD or Blu Ray drive, unless Apple let's you change the Riplock setting in the future (ha!)

3. kubrick70 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that's kind of annoying.

4. Warbitrary macrumors regular

Riplock is a characteristic of newer computer DVD-ROM drives that slows the drive transfer rate when reading DVD-Video data.

The drive should read at full speed for data. If you open Acivity Monitor and look under the Disk Activity tab, what are the transfer speeds? Is the drive trashing a lot (you can hear the drive head move constantly)?

5. kubrick70 thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't really make any noise when transferring data. It's averaging about 3 MB/sec. Peak is 7.1 MB/sec.

6. MacHamster68, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

you should hear a superdrive or combo drive at full speed , a cement mixer is quiet in direct comparison, my iMac core duo had one that was not restricted in speed and it made everything vibrate on the desk while spinning..and no it was not faulty thats how apple superdrives are once unrestricted, but generally dont rely on the internal superdrive it will go into the nirvana if used regular as i guess they are the cheapest apple could find on the chinese flee market near their factory , better get a external firewire or usb dvd rw

7. tsugaru macrumors 6502

Try installing Windows 7 on one of the new 27" iMacs with that Optiarc drive. Riplock (or custom firmware to keep the noise down, whatever you want to call it) causes it to take forever to copy the files over to the hard drive to begin installation. Once everything is copied over, it is superfastic, but the initial data copy is superslow, like the machine is on oxycontin or something.

//wishes I could install Win7 on a Mac via USB or Firewire

8. Ilari macrumors newbie

I installed Windows 7 on my new 27" i7 yesterday and it took about 45 minutes from inserting the DVD to seeing the Windows desktop. Not that long in my opinion.