New iMac i7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Robert Grant, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Robert Grant macrumors member

Hi guys, just opened my brand new iMac i7, turned it on to find that the right half of the screen was darker than the left. Should I quickly go through the setup and then check with a white background that there is definately a problem?

2. nobias macrumors regular

Use a fullscreen browser like chrome, open up a blank white page and take a picture of the screen with a camera in a dark room.

If there are uniformity problems they will be immediately apparent in the picture

3. Robert Grant thread starter macrumors member

Yeh I was going to open a white image using quicklook and fullscreen that but I'm unsure on whether to go through the setup process to see it. I don't think it affects my right to return the product does it? (Uk)

4. Robert Grant thread starter macrumors member

Ok I decided to register and take a picture with the white screen. Here it is:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

5. frega macrumors member

6. kristian21 macrumors newbie

Looks like a defect for me. I'd return that for sure

7. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

8. mlblacy macrumors 6502

try this first...

it does look bad, but my first guess was that it looked like magnetic interference. Try moving the monitor that is next to your iMac away and see if that makes a diffference...

9. Tec972 macrumors member

Good point, that is definately worth a shot! It may take a while for it to get back to normal. I haven't seen a degaussing in a monitor in a while. They dont put them on LCD's so it may not be magnetic interference after all.

10. Thunderchicken macrumors member

looks like something went out in the lighting board or isn't getting the full voltage and it means that you need to just return it. Parts go out from time to time that is why everything comes with a warranty.

11. Robert Grant thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice, I tried that but it made no difference. Apple are sending me a replacement on "top priority" and are arranging to collect the faulty one on Monday.

12. nobias macrumors regular

That is definitely return worthy. Care to post the serial number (or at least the first half) so we can discern the manufacturing date/facility?