New iMac iChat to Windows AIM Video Choppy

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brop52, Aug 19, 2007.

1. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I'm now using the new iMac wirelessly connected to the internet through a brand new linksys WRT54GL with firewall on the hardware and software. I updated the firmware on the router and my signal is very good as I temporarily have the router and computer right next to each other with the old iMac next to this one. Since this is the brand new iMac I'm using 10.4 entirely updated. I'm using Comcast cable (bought a new linksys cable modem that will be here Monday and hopefully will remedy at least something since I now have a very old Com21 modem). Com21 doesn't even have a website anymore so I think it's time to future proof and to stop paying the rental fee every month. My connection with Comcast is relatively stable and I can't think of a recent time that I haven't gotten a download speed of roughly 5.8 Mbps and upload of 340 kbps upload speed on speed tests.

The problem is that on the Windows XP Media Center side I'm told that I am very choppy during video conferencing. On my end the quality of both videos seem relatively good. I changed the settings on the other end (Windows AIM 6.1 totally updated) with a Norton Firewall to allow the ports in AIM. The odd thing is that I used to use a 500 MHz G3 iMac that I was told that the quality was better (external firewire iSight with iGlasses to use it). Of course it was almost unusable on my end as it was a huge processor drain. In that setup it was connected directly to the cable modem.

Back to the present: I've allowed all the necessary ports to be open on the Mac OS X firewall. I've even disabled the firewall and connected it directly to the cable modem as in the previous setup. The speeds don't seem to change whether I'm directly connected to the modem or wirelessly so apparently the wireless router firewall isn't blocking anything. On Quicktime, I now have it set at 1.5 Mbps T1/Intranet/Lan. Should I have it on the higher setting of Intranet/Lan? In iChat I have it set as 2 Mbps. on connection doctor I have roughly 10 fps and on the windows side it is about 9.3. My connection is sending out roughly 120 kbps while the other end is sending out roughly 350 kbps. I'm baffled how her computer (a media center HP with 1 GB RAM, integrated graphics, and the same Comcast Internet speeds using WinXP and a Logitech Quickcam Orbit MP can have 3X the bitrate of my 2 GB brand new 2.4 GHz iMac, 256 MB graphics, and with an internal iSight. I know that her webcam is one of the top of the line webcams with 1.3 MP and up to 30 fps but I'm still confused. I can probably still check if her drivers for the webcam are up to date but I highly doubt that has anything to do with poor quality she sees on my video or my poor bitrate.

What I am going to try is installing the newer cable modem when it comes and then trying to get some nice fluorescent lightingaround the computer to illuminate the area.

Could it be that the internal USB iSight is a slower connection than the old external firewire iSight and isn't the best? Or is there something in my settings in quicktime or iChat that needs to be changed. Maybe I need more light in this room? Could it be that the speeds are limited going from iChat to AIM? I thought I should be getting more than 25 fps. Any suggestions or help would be highly appreciatied.

2. freeedge369 macrumors member

If it's possible, you should consider Skype.
    It works on Windows as well as Mac, and I've never had any slowdown in video conferencing.
    I know it's compatible with iSight, as I recently went on a trip and needed to keep in touch with my family.

It's free and relatively small in terms of install space, so installing it shouldn't be a problem fo you or your friend.

Hope I've helped.

3. brop52 thread starter macrumors 68000

brop52

She says that I look much better on Skype and she looks about the same. However, after a couple minutes the lighting in her video goes away and she gets grainy. Is there any way to check the connection of the video call in the program just like ichat and the connection doctor? I'll probably have to go to her house to check her settings out.