Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
So after reading this here https://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/03/imacs-faster-processors-improved-displays-kgi/ would this mean that sometime at the end of the year that the entire Retina iMac line would have an improved display from what it currently has? I currently have the high-end 27" Retina iMac that I had picked up earlier in May but now after reading that the new ones could have a new improved display its making be debate the fact if I should sell my current machine to pickup the new one. Any input on this guys? and also when do you think the release / pre-orders begin for the said new machine?

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
"While Apple has released several 27-inch Retina iMac models since last October, the remainder of the iMac lineup has not been updated since September 2013 as Apple has had to wait for Intel to release new desktop processors that could allow for a substantial update. With Broadwell processors starting to trickle out and Skylake right around the corner, it appears Apple will finally be able to offer a substantial upgrade for the entire iMac family."

My reading of the article is that the "substantial upgrade" refers to the non-5K iMacs rather than the current 5K iMac's. I suspect the changes to the current 5K iMacs in the next few months will be primarily minor improvements.

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
There is also some speculation of improved screen technology as well that could impact the Retina models

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/09/03/new-imacs-led-phosphor/

Interesting...
I just ordered a new iMac 27" retina on Friday. I waited for the announcement on Wednesday which said nothing about the iMacs.
Couldn't wait any longer.

Wonder how much any supposed improvements to the 27" would actually affect the average user.
The 27" retina is incredible now...not sure how much better it can get.

A person could go broke trying to keep up with the "next best thing" that comes out......

Last edited:

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I was an early adopter and I think that my 5K iMac is fantastic. Of course, every iteration should show improvements. I am still in the honeymoon stage with my 5K.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
johnh57, very interesting link you've posted, and to answer your question regarding if I have issues with the display quality no I do not I think its one of the most beautiful screen's I've set my eye's upon to date but if the current readings of new LED technology or other new tech going into the displays are soon to be true I definitely want to be ready for that upgrade. I would love to see a stand alone 5K display for the Mac Pro as its the only reason why I haven't decided to pickup a new Mac Pro as of yet given that I would much prefer to run a true Apple display with it rather than a third party monitor, and that dual cable thing is just not to my taste either to run a Dell display.

johnh57

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Montana
I'm working on a 32" WQHD display driven by my mbp. I really need to upgrade my mac (2010 mbp i5) I'm torn between getting it over with and quit stressing over potential upgrades, or turn off all types of data input until nov 1 and see where apple is at. I'm sure a new imac with i7, retina, gobs of ram, an upgraded GPU, and a 512 flash drive will blow the doors off of this thing. but. sigh.

I noticed on the refurb store there were i7's that would show available for several days prior to last Wednesday. Since last Wednesday i7's don't last long. I've notice quad and 6 core pro's with better than the 256 gb ssd don't last very long either.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
It would surprise me if they updated the 5k panel so soon. Apple usually keeps a screen as is for years at a time. I bet it's just for the 21.5 inch, and the 5k has already got the updates.

riviera74

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2015
Fort Myers FL
It would surprise me if they updated the 5k panel so soon. Apple usually keeps a screen as is for years at a time. I bet it's just for the 21.5 inch, and the 5k has already got the updates.

The 21.5" iMac will probably be upgraded when the new iMacs show up for sale, especially if they go Retina.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Be careful what you wish for.

Generally, increased resolution is nice (8k certainly would be worth it). As would perhaps a wider color gamut (even if you wouldn't use it all). But whether you like a screen or not can be subjective, and a brighter more vivid screen might gag some people, especially those who color calibrate. And there are issues like reflectivity too. Some still are lamenting the loss of matte screens.

So even if a display gets these new phosphors it may only be an improvement if, in your eyes, it looks better.

Reactions: mojolicious

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
maybe not this year but they will come back to nvidia, and when they will...its clear the potent of mobile nvidia is high

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
maybe not this year but they will come back to nvidia, and when they will...its clear the potent of mobile nvidia is high

While Apple is known to switch between Nvidia and AMD, we don't know who will be better in a year or so. Currently, from what I read, AMD is actually better for Metal and OpenCL apps. Not everyone plays games on their Macs.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Be careful what you wish for.

Generally, increased resolution is nice (8k certainly would be worth it).

Honestly, I don't think 8K would be worth it at the moment. The downsides would heavily outweigh the benefits. From a normal viewing distance, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and 8K would be a hit on the CPU and GPU and thermal efficiency. Also, apps would have to be updated yet again - and a few of Mac apps still doesn't support current Retina, let alone one that has a double ppi. One day, perhaps, when the price to pay is not that great, but not soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.