New imac in near Future?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by talkindrum, Apr 14, 2013.

1. talkindrum macrumors newbie

Can anyone tell me when the last imacs came out, & when the new ones might be coming out? ... Thanks !

2. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

The current iMacs came out in october and shipped in November and December. No one knows when the iMacs will be updated again it, it could happen as early as this summer or could even be 2014, but no one know for sure.

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Best guess is August-September. At that time there probably won't be any new amazing feature added. Are you waiting for something specific?

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Most likely even later, reason, iMacs have Desktop CPU's inside and they will be released later than the Haswell Mobile CPU's which have a bug inside and the first ones which do not have this bug inside will be released on July 31, there will be Mobile Haswells released before this date but then you don't know which one you'll get, the bad one or the updated good ones.

5. Serban Suspended

6. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I think the only reason that new iMacs might come out earlier than late this year/early next is if they decide to do a minor speed bump and add ac wifi around June/July. That's just a thought and I haven't checked whether there are any suitable processors for an upgrade. They did that for the MBPs in the New Year though so it's not out of the question.

Such a minor update may be deemed necessary if they expect Haswell machines to be delayed for any reason and want to keep their line-up fresh.

7. Silvereel macrumors 6502

It's also worth mentioning that Haswell isn't going to be a huge shift for desktops. There'll certainly be a mild spec bump, but the people who will really benefit from Haswell are laptop users. Power consumption is the big deal.

The new iMacs are still new, so I wouldn't be afraid to go ahead and buy one. There's always going to be something a little better coming out in a few months, no matter when you buy :)

That was my reasoning, and I couldn't be happier with my iMac.

8. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

I will wait until Haswell is released

I have no choice, since I won't be travelling to the States until later Nov/Dec, which hopefully by then will have the new updates.

9. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

Have we learned nothing from the last refresh? Desktop computers are low on the priority totem pole at Apple.

The iMac will be refreshed again no sooner than summer 2014.

We may see slight price adjustments late this year (to the tune of the $1300-$900 SSD CTO) but there won't even be a spec bump as such, because Haswell is meaningless except to mobile gear.

10. chukronos macrumors 6502

I just bought the 27" $2599 version last week. If they update in Aug/Sept. I doubt it will be anything large enough to be worth the wait. If you need it, get it and enjoy it.

11. NextGenApple macrumors regular

Please stop talking nonsense, you make yourself look silly, There WILL Be a 2013 iMac this year. You better get to know Apple before running to post on a forum pal.

Might only be a spec bump but if it was coming next week you couldn't advise the OP to go out and buy the latest model. Plus Apple will never drop prices, independent sellers might Amazon etc.

12. Bear macrumors G3

As was stated by others, they were announced in October 2012 ans started shipping in November for the 21" and the 27".

As for when the next update will be, you need to look at Intel's announced chip schedule and guess which ones Apple might use for an iMac.

Although in reality, your best bet is to ask The Magic 8-Ball®. :cool:

13. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

I've been here following the entire 500+ day wait for the 2013 iMac. I assure you, I know what I'm talking about.

Put your money where your mouth is. It's April 15th and I say no refresh until 2014, and you disagree. That puts the over/under at August 23, 2013. I've got the over, you have the under. If Apple refreshes the iMac (not just a price adjustment on the existing hardware, but a "spec bump" as you put it, so a CPU change at minimum) on or before 8/23/13, I will close my user account here and not re-register. If Apple does not, you will close your user accoutn here and not re-register. Is it a wager? If not, shut your maw.

14. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Fascinating backtrack, Mike. I love how you went from "no sooner than summer 2014" to taking the over on August 2013. I'd probably take the over on that date too. The fact is the last update was an aggressive redesign with some mismanaged manufacturing issues, and the next one will just be rearranging a little silicon in the current design. Should certainly come out sooner to a 250 day cycle than a 500. The product average is, I think, 289?

15. Tanax macrumors 6502a

If the buyer won't be buying the computer until Nov~, of course it's worth the wait, what are you high on? Not everyone waits because "there's something better coming soon", some people actually waits because they can't get the computer right now.

On top of that, nVidia should release a refreshed Kepler-GPU (700-series) later this year so perhaps that will be included. Haswell should definitely be included but as said previously, it's not that big of a deal for desktops since mainly the power-consumption and GPU-performance have improved in Haswell.

But in addition to the CPU (and maybe GPU), perhaps a better front-camera, 802.11ac wireless or other "minor" improvements/custom options improvements like price or SSD-capabilities.

I doubt we'll see screen-/resolution-improvements like some people have talked about a "retina iMac".

16. toddzrx, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013

toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Which is it: summer 2014 or August 2013?

Anyway, I would think a safe bet is that we'll see a refresh by October to go along with an almost certain iPad refresh for the Holidays (although personally I wish Apple would stick to WWDC to intro all their new desktops and laptops). I doubt we'll see much more than processor and GPU upgrades, although 802.11AC will probably make the cut. I don't see a retina iMac until 2014 at the earliest.

17. Tanax, Apr 16, 2013

Tanax macrumors 6502a

Don't underestimate the GPU-bump though.. :)

18. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

You don't know what you're talking about.

We all know what Apple are like. Yes we can gauge an idea around the Intel roadmap. But Apple are so secretive.

I do think we'll see an update to wifi and a processor bump. Not sure what's on the cards for GPU.
    Retina screen as mentioned before will most likely be a 'big' 2014 update to the iMac.

Maybe on the 27" we might see fusion drive across the board?

19. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I wouldn't bet on it, Apple is so cheap when it comes to hardware, and as usual, gouging a high price for their upgrade options.

Yep, we have a default 1TB HDD across the iMac, but after how long? In the end customers lose the Superdrive, yet pay $100 more for the new iMac (except the high end 27") model for a fancy stir friction welding (which does not make it any faster)

20. Mike Valmike, Apr 16, 2013

Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

Ah, another person who doesn't know how wagering a spread works. If I say there will be at least ten of a thing and you say there won't be more than one, the over/under pin is 5.5. On an outcome of 6, I win the bet. If you want all outcomes up to 9.5, you need to give me odds, because that corresponds to a post of 18, and that's not the post I offered. It would be like if I had said no iMac refresh until early 2015.

No worries, I notice NextGenApple hasn't taken up the gantlet anyway.

Oh, August too soon for you NGA? September then. Too soon? October 1st. That's almost six months from now and centers up the spread right into the early summer of next year, if you want to fixate on that part of my prediction. There's no November or later pin because we all know Apple stops announcing things then, so anything past October would be a win for me anyway.

TL;DR -- Apple is not going to be quick or reliable about updating their desktop lines anymore. The fastest refresh will be the Mini and that's only because it's an MBP with no KVM in a non-portable chassis.

21. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

Gung ho on purchasing now?

I think I know why persons in this thread right now are so gung ho on purchasing now rather than later. It is the loyalist mentality to Apple. It is the belief that we should purchase for the sake of Apples image to look good on their quarterly results.

Yes, some of you who are replying here are actually hiding behind that truth.

Either that or you just want potential users to spend their hard earned money on first gen products that will obviously be upgraded with better specs this year. Examples: No more Image Retention Retinas, Retina based iPad Mini with better specs, possible Fusion drive 27 inch iMac with return to normal price across the board, faster iPads with entry level model with 32 GBs of flash storage.

I can see how this would affect those who did not have the self control to wait last year. The sad truth is, they would end up having the older stuff now, who knows, Apple could come with a ridiculous requirement, first gen retina MBP's just can't run 10.9, we know, we're sorry, its not possible.

iPad Mini first gen can't run iOS 7.

I think its this fear that's driving a lot of the buy now crowd, they want us to suffer through their buyers remorse with them.

Well, sorry, I am 2500 in right now towards my goal and I am not spending a single penny of it. Been saving since 2011, if can wait that long, I am sure as **** gonna wait a little longer and hopefully benefit out it.

So for those waiting for Haswell with its 20% performance boost, more power to you and me! We work hard for our money and if our decision to wait is ****ing up Apples quarterly results, sorry, but Mr. RDF died in 2011. Move on! I want the best bang for my buck and if I have to squeeze Mr. Cooks you know what to get it, I am gonna squeeze a little harder and wait.

Some of you are the same folks recommending that users in pro markets buy Mac Pro's that are over 3 years old when obviously its just not cutting it anymore.

Future (iMac 27 inch with standard Fusion drive, iPhone 5s 32 GB and iPad 5 with A7 CPU user). :p

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Lets keep away from the insults and debate the topic