new iMac instable?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Macintown, May 9, 2008.

1. Macintown macrumors newbie

I just got my new iMac (2,66 ghz, 2 gig ram, ati radeon 2600 HD pro, 500 HD).
    It seams that every time I play a HD movie, or play a game with windows running on bootcamp, my mac just turn off, because it got too hot. No problem if that happens once, but it happened 7 on one day. I'm going back to the store tomorrow to check what's wrong, but I think it's just too much power without a good cooler. anybody with simular problems?

2. D4F Guest

D4F

That sounds like a broken cooler/fan.
    Mine can work at 100% both cores in use for over 24 hours during renders and works perfect.
    Just go to the store and if you're within 14 days of purchase ask for a replacement. Don't go with all that send it on warranty thing.

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Download smcfancontrol. Run it. Rev up each fan one at a time and listen for the corresponding hum. Once you hear it, turn the fan back down, wait a little while, and do the next fan. If you don't hear a hum, something's broken.

4. xxjuicymintxx macrumors regular

I'd have to agree. smcfancontrol is useful, and will probably help your situation out. Sorry about the problem w/ your Mac, but hey, at least you're still on the good side. =]